Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Dr. Jeckyl and Miss Hyde

So I am sitting here watching the Jazz game (Goooooo Jazz!) and thought I would post a quick update for everyone.

We are slowly checking things off of our "getting ready for baby" list. We have got his crib and changing table set up, and we already had a bassinet, car seat, and Baby Bjorn from when Arden was little. We went and got a few little clothes for him, and my good ol' brother BJ picked us up a bunch of onesies from Kohls, where he works (thanks Beej!) I went to my cousin Jayme's baby shower on Saturday, she is having a baby boy too, he is due June 2nd. It was fun to see her unwrapping all of that cute baby boy stuff! It made me even more excited for our little guy to come (and to go buy more cute little boy stuff!).

That night we went to the Salt Lake Bees baseball game with my cousin Troy, his family and Amanda and Matt. Troy and Tiff brought their three girls, the youngest of which is Aeva, who is about 10 months old. We have been talking to Arden a LOT about "Baby Brother" these past couple of weeks and how you have to be soft and gentle with babies etc. etc. etc. Arden was more than ready to try out her big sister moves on Aeva. She softly touched Aeva's hands. She let Aeva grab her face and didn't even mind. She helped Aeva eat Cheerios and soft pieces of popcorn. She gave Aeva lots and lots of hugs and kisses. She even wanted to hold Aeva in her lap (with my help of course). She didn't mind in the least when Preston or I held Aeva. "Wow," I thought, "she is pretty good at this big sister thing! What have I been worried about??" The game went pretty late, so we didn't get home until after 10:00 p.m. Here is a picture of Arden and "baby" Aeva:


The next day was Mothers Day. The day started out great with Preston and Arden bringing me pancakes with strawberries and whip cream for breakfast in bed (Arden wanted to help me eat them and we got strawberries on the sheets within about 10 seconds, so we quickly decided to have breakfast at the table instead).
Off we went to church, where I had agreed to substitute in nursery. Here is where Miss Hyde showed up. Arden quickly decided that I was HER mommy and that no one else was allowed to be held by me/sit in my lap/play with me. It was not pretty. It all started when I tried to take another baby who needed a diaper change almost as soon as nursery started to her mom. Arden started crying when I tried to leave nursery without her, which she NEVER does. Then, when I got back, any time one of the other kids tried to sit on my lap, Arden would run from whatever part of the room she was in and try and push them off. She even pushed one of her best friends down when I went in the closet to get a book for her. I am just hoping that it was all due to sleep deprivation, and that she won't be trying to push the new baby off of my lap every day. :)

The rest of Mothers Day was really good, though. We visited Preston's Mom (had sandwiches and cake), met my mom at my Grandma Wilson's (had cake), and then we all went to my Grandma Haun's (more cake). I am very lucky to have all of them, they are all wonderful!!

Anyway, as a side note, we finished painting our bathroom a while ago, and we still have 3/4 of a gallon of paint left. If anyone wants it, let me know! Here is a picture or two to show you what color it is:
Arden is talking NONSTOP lately, and is starting to say everything I say. She even calls Preston "Presson" about half the time. The other day she couldn't get her shoes on and yelled out "STUPID SHOES!" It was so funny! Then I read on my sister in law Alison's blog that "Stupid" is a bad word at their house. Uh-oh, I didn't know that....I guess I will have to start watching what I say.

Finally, tomorrow I am driving our birth mom to her doctor's appointment, so hopefully I will get to hear about how things are going with the pregnancy! I will try and post some news on how everything is going sometime after that. Only 23 more days until the due date!
Gooooo Jazz!

9 comments:

Jessica O. said...

All kids have split personalities. Don't worry as long as most of the time she is nice. Good luck with the birth mom I am very excited for you.

Amanda said...

Yeah, she was just tired, we kept her up pretty late at the ball game.

I like the bathroom! Very cute. If I ever get a house you will have to come and decorate it.

Tiffany said...

Arden will be a great big sister. She was very cute with Matthew the last time she was here. When Grace was first born Ben asked if we could take her back but now they are the best of friends. They all have their bad moments but usually it's all works out okay.

I love the color in your bathroom, it looks great!

Shauna Hardy said...

I love the bathroom pictures! Don't worry about Arden, she will adjust. It is hard to share anything, especially mom!

The Taylor Family said...

Love the bathroom, it looks like you have a great knack for decorating! Love hearing all the details about the new arrival! Have you decided on a name? We need to get Arden and Brynn together to play so Arden came come over and hang out after the baby comes!

Diane said...

She's a typical kid. It will be a love-hate relationship, like all siblings deal with. Mostly, love, though.

Leslie said...

All children have a hard time sharing their mom and it's normal. She will love the new baby and will adjust sharing you.

Also I love the bathroom. I wanted a room in my new house to remind me of Hawaii but didn't know what room to do but now I do. THANK!

Brindy said...

Very cute color in your bathroom!! I actually have had our laundry room downstairs primed and ready to paint for quite some time - just haven't gotten around to Home Depot to pick out colors. If you aren't saving it for anything else, I would happily take it off your hands. :)

2 year olds go through phases -- just don't set the baby on the couch by himself and leave the 2 year old hanging around. I always had to take one of them with me or I'd come back with a pillow on the baby's face. :)

Kirstin Schmidt said...

Your bathroom looks so relaxing!! Great job. I just can imagine the paint tragedy with Arden now. Isn't it great how with every project with kids there is always a story to tell. Split personalities is the norm especially at Arden's age. Sometimes they don't grow out of it sometimes they do if your lucky. I know that I never know if I'm talking to Optimus Prime, Darth Vader or Isaac Schmidt!!