Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Little Things

Today Corbie I have made a major breakthrough! I was so happy about this amazing achievement that I actually did a little happy dance around my kitchen. Here is a picture of this GLORIOUS event:


YAAAAAAY!!!

What....you don't get it?

This is a picture of the first time Corbie used a normal, non-"Soothie" binky. "Why do I care?" you are probably wondering. Honestly, you probably don't. But this is my blog, so I get to write about things that are important to me, and THIS is important. Seriously, you have no idea how important this is.

For the uninitiated, "Soothies" are the round, green binkies that the hospitals use (see picture below). Corbie immediately loved her Soothie from the hospital. Which was great. With one exception. The part of the binkie that goes in her mouth is straight. Which means it falls out easily. Very easy. Ridiculously easy. Any time Corbie stopped sucking on it for even a second, it fell out. Or if she sucked on it too hard, it would pop out. She had to maintain just the right amount of suckiness for it to stay put, and she is VERRRRY bad at it. So the binkie fell out a lot. I am talking a LOT. Dozens (if not hundreds, maybe thousands) of times a day.
And since the outside of these wonderful things are round, when they hit the ground they ROLL. And roll. For what seems like miles. They also seek out places to hide (under couches, under tables, behind doors, behind bookshelves, etc. etc. etc.) as if they were alive and trying desperately to get away. And since these binkies don't have a ring on them, it is super hard to find any clips that you can use to anchor them to the baby. All of this means that I have spent the last 2 1/2 months picking up, chasing and/or on my hands and knees frantically searching for the binkie. But Cora refused to accept any other kind of binkie until today. She would suck on them for 0.0001 seconds, then make a gagging sound and spit them out. Then she would look at me like I was crazy and start to cry. But today I thought I would try again, and miracle of miracles it worked! (this is the part where I did the happy dance). No gagging! No spitting out! And the binkie hasn't popped out once! She is napping with it now, and I have already clipped it to her.

Now you know. Weird things make me happy.

Another thing that makes me happy is sunsets. We have had some really pretty ones this last week or so since is stopped raining. I took this a couple of days ago from our deck:

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Cute. You do get the good sunsets up there. Did you see the cool storm that came across last Friday? I bet it was fun to watch coming in.

Jessica O. said...

I agree with the soothie thing. I hate them. I think they bounce and who knows where they go??? I also have loved the sunsets. Ditto to this blog!!!

Brindy said...

I didn't realize what horrible binkies those things were until after Sophie was born. I even went to Babies R Us and got a pink and purple one before she came -- because I thought they were the best binkies. NOT! I agree, she could never keep them in her mouth, it drove me crazy! However, we didn't have the struggle you did with getting used to the new ones. I'm so happy for you! :) LOVE the sunset, I thought you found it off the internet it was so perfect.

Leslie said...

First the sunset is BEAUTIFUL and for the binkie...HOORAY for you!!!!

Brandice said...

When Drew was born, he loved the "soothies" too (though I don't think they called them that). But they were BROWN! UGLY! I have the worst pictures of him as a baby with that huge brown thing in his mouth, but it was the only one he liked. Plus they only gave you one at the hospital and you had to go in and personally request one if you lost that. You couldn't buy them anywhere. I have done a little happy dance myself several times when we were finally done with the binkie stages. I know what you mean!