First, she put some old pink corduroy jeans that are now floods. Over this she put a pink floral dress. Next, she added a short-sleeve hoodie. And to complete the look, she put a big pink belt on. Interesting....
Dax can usually be found with the same accessory every day...his blue blanket. He has really become attached to it lately, and carries it around "Linus-style:"
Yesterday we were watching Arden at her gymnastics class and there was another little boy there who had a blanket that kind of looked like Daxton's (We usually leave his blanket at home) and he was on a mission to steal it. Every time I looked down there was sneakly little Dax with the stolen blanket. Good thing he is so dang cute!
Corbie is now 4 months old! Here is her lamb picture:
She is such a sweet little thing, I am not looking forward to taking her to the doctor for her shots tomorrow :(
And finally...Remember a few posts ago when I said how I liked for strangers to come and ask about my babies? I take it all back.
Yesterday I was out shopping for a few things and waiting in the amazingly long checkout line at Costco when the woman behind me in line started talking to me about how close in age Daxton and Corbie are. Usually people just say something like "You sure have your hands full!" or something like that and let it go...but she just kept talking. Finally she asked if they were adopted. Looking back I should have just said something witty and clever like "None of your bees wax!" but since adoption has been such a great thing for our family I am usually not hesitant to talk about it. So I went ahead and told her that that they were. She looked at me and said, "Oh, I knew that you weren't really their mother." I felt like I had just been slapped. I didn't know what to say. I wanted to yell at her, "YES I AM REALLY THEIR MOTHER!!!" but luckily Daxton started his other new favorite thing...screaming like a girl at the top of his lungs and then laughing, so I just turned my attention to trying to get him to quiet down. I know she probably didn't purposefully say that to be mean, but it really hurt my feelings. So this is my little plea to everyone out there to try and think about what you are saying before you say it. There, I feel better now.
9 comments:
No way!!! What a messed up rude thing to say. I am sorry. I agree....you should think before you speak...and if you still say it....Well then your just a empty rude hurtful person. You are a wonderful mother. Yes you do have your handsful. But what treasures your hands are full of.
You're right Chrystie, people can be so mean. Sad thing is, most have no idea they're being mean. I think some people should come equipped with a little device that dings whenver something rude comes out of their mouth to train what to say and what not to say, because many, many people just don't get it. Although, I if that happened, I think Keith would make me wear one, so maybe it's not a good idea afterall.
What was she thinking! (She probably wasn't but should have been). When Grace was a baby, I had several older women give me "advice" on being a teenage mother. I was 27! I just looked young. But it was none of their business anyway.
I will rant now, myself. I do not like the Costco lady! The other day I had someone tell me not to feel bad...that there is no way that I could look like a million bucks after having four kids! This was completely out of the blue and unsolicited, mind you. I tried to consider the source and not feel badly, but it is hard not to get your feelings hurt a little. What are people thinking? Since we can't stop people's lack of tact, we need to get a list of comebacks for you to say and keep it in your purse at all times. OF COURSE, you're their mother!! That comment is just ridiculous.
Wow, really? I'm wondering why some people even open their mouths. You ARE their mother and you're a very good one at that.
She meant that you're not their biological mother. You are their REAL everyday, through-sickness-and-health, watch-them-grow, teaching moments, emotionally supportive, just-happens-to-look-teriffic mother.
I know she was probably not trying to make me feel bad. She was maybe even trying to say something nice, but for some reason it just really suprised me the way she said it, like she was saying I was just babysitting them or something. I guess I am probably being oversensitive...
This is when I have created a little list of things to ask in response to such insanity - things like, "Do you always wear your hair like that - seriously?" Feel free to borrow this line if you'd like! :) Ha Ha
When she said, "Oh, I knew that you weren't really their mother." I think you should have said, "And I know your boobs really aren't your own." or "I'm sure that can't REALLY be your butt - because who has a butt so huge and ugly?" I agree about keeping a list of comebacks in your purse. Or a rolling pin.
Post a Comment