Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Bees Please!

Going to a real live baseball game is something that must be done at least a couple of times during a summer if you are going to call it a summer. Since July is quickly coming to a close, I decided we better get brave and take the kids to their first game of the season. We went on Monday night. I was a little apprehensive about whether we would be able to make it through an entire game, but there were fireworks afterwards, so we decided to try our best. Cora was so excited to be there:
The weather wasn't too hot, it was actually pretty cloudy. Daxton made goo-goo eyes at a lady behind us who had peanuts and she offered him some. Soon she was supplying peanuts to Corbie and Arden as well, so we decided we better hurry up and get our own bag. Peanuts are brilliant, because Dax kept himself pretty busy for about an hour shelling and eating peanuts:


After about 4 innings, it started to rain. I was worried that there might be a rain delay or even a rain out, but they kept playing on. We had our hoodies so we were fine. Cora had spilled her drink earlier, so she was trying to catch some rain in her cup to drink:


And after the rain (or between the rain), there was a rainbow - look carefully over the scoreboard:


The kids actually watched the game pretty good, although you don't realize how complicated the rules of baseball are until you try to explain them to a 5-year old. (What is a strike? What is a ball? What is a foul ball? What is an out? What is a fly ball? What is a pitcher?) After the peanuts ran out we got some cotton candy in about the 6th inning, which pretty much kept the kids happy for the rest of the game. Corbie LOVED the 7th inning stretch and was singing "ONE! TWO! THREE stikes you out!" along with the hand actions over and over long after we were finished singing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game."

The kids were a little disappointed that we didn't catch a foul ball, but we made it to the fireworks!


It was a really fun night! We didn't get home until after 11 p.m. so the kids are off kilter again today, especially since we went camping again last weekend. I think I will concentrate on getting them to bed on time for the rest of the week, we need a break from our crazy summer nights!

2 comments:

Diane said...

Yay baseball games. I remember taking you guys to the Trapper games in days of old. You would have to wait at least 3 innings to get your snowcone, I think. Big fun and good memories are worth a little loss of sleep.

Ryan and Amber said...

Oh great - here I am thinking we're totally down with a time out and you point out the obvious - we must attend a BBall game Alas, how does one keep up with the incredible Zauggs?