Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Easterific

Easter has come and gone again!  Easter lasted a few days for us, and officially started when the two littles had their Easter Egg hunts at preschool.  Cora got to go first.  She found lots of candy during the hunt, and was super-super-SUPER-excited to eat her "Hard Boyed Eggs" for lunch.  She colored them herself during class, one pink, one blue.  She took great pride in peeling the shell off alone too...teeny tiny piece by teeny tiny piece.  Dax was beside himself that he had to wait a whole entire day to get his little hands on some Easter candy and some "Harboid Eggs." 
 
Dax and Cora fought and argued about whether or not Cora should give Dax one of her eggs to eat for lunch.  After much begging and whining and yelling on Dax's part, Cora finally agreed to let Dax have the blue one.  Wow, how nice and selfless of her!  Actually, she had finished peeling her own pink egg by then, taken a few bites and discovered that it didn't taste like candy at ALL.  Dax excitedly pulled the shell off of his egg, took a few bites and discovered the same thing.  I ended up throwing most of these once-coveted eggs in the garbage (I don't really like them either unless they are in potato salad).  They had chicken nuggets for lunch.

Unbelievably to me, we repeated the scene again the next day, with Dax bringing home two eggs and Cora begging and whining to have one for lunch while Dax peeled the other.  I reminded them that these were the very same kind of eggs that they had tried and failed to eat the day before.  They pretty much ignored me and fought until Dax finally conceded and gave an egg to Cora.  They both excitedly peeled an egg, covered it with salt, took a couple of bites and asked for hot dogs instead. 

The Saturday before Easter we headed to the neighborhood Easter Egg hunt.  Finally, Arden was getting the chance to participate!  I ended up not getting a good picture of her mad egg hunting skills since they split the kids up by age group and I ended up following the 3-to-4 year olds.  Here is an action shot of the 1-minute-frenzy:


 Aaaaaand, the loot!
The rest of Saturday was spent making the tiniest dent in our springtime yard work. 
 
At laa-ast, it was Easter morning!  The bunny didn't bring too much candy to the kids since he knew they had already been on several candy hunts and still had another one coming.  He did bring some books, and Dax was very happy about his "Here Comes T-Rex Cottontail" book (awesome, right?)
                                        
 Cora was more about the CAN-DAY:

Dax and Cora pretty much plowed through the 10 or so pieces of candy the bunny left them, and both of them told me they didn't feel so good at some point during the day.

Arden for some reason woke up a little grouchy on the beautiful Easter morning, and I didn't get a good picture of her with her basket.  After the kids were all ready for church, I herded them outside and made them pose for some Easter pictures.  I was kind of bummed that my cherry tree hadn't blossomed and my daffodils hadn't bloomed but at least the sun was shining and there was no snow!  Here is my beautiful Cora holding a very small purple flower.  So stinkin' sweet!

Here is my Dax!  Notice his haircut?  He has a buzz because it is pretty impressive how close to his scalp he was able to cut his own hair with a pair of green plastic safety scissors and 30 seconds to himself. But at least he has a big smile!
 
Here is Arden.  She is angry with me for making her wear her Easter dress on Easter.  Her Easter dress that SHE chose at the store specifically to BE her EASTER dress. How dare I ask her to please wear it to church on Easter?  I KNOW, I am a completely unreasonable and borderline psychotic for making such an outrageous demand.  And on top of that, I now have the guts to ask her to SMILE?  Whatever.
 

Aaanyway, church helped.  It was nice to forget about the bunnies and the dresses and think about the real meaning behind Easter.  Everyone came home in a much better mood.  We headed over to my mom's for dinner and the final egg hunt of the year.  I finally got a shot of Arden in action (and Preston too):
Now we have a basket full of eggs and a face full of smiles. 

Dax is pretty sure he has won!  And wow, he is just a little bit excited and a lot sugared up. 
 
After the egg hunt, I tried to bribe my kids to give me all of their Cadbury eggs, but they are getting smarter as they get older and I didn't end up with nearly as many as I usually do.  I still have time though...I think tomorrow I will start offering to clean up some rooms in exchange for some cream eggs. 
 
Don't judge me.  

2 comments:

Diane said...

Now the the grand-kiddies are getting older, I noticed that the my-kiddies aren't as crazy wild at hunting for the candy as they were last year or the year before. Everything changes, ha ha.

Ryan and Amber said...

The Easter dress fiasco is cracking me up!!! Maybe I am grateful for little buzz cut boys? Happy spring dear zauggie bloggies