Dax is on the Packers, which he was excited about. Not because he likes Green Bay or Aaron Rogers or anything like that. Because...green.
Dax got to be the oldest on his team for a change because of where the birthday cutoff fell. He took full advantage on the first week and scored two touchdowns. His coaches are very good at trying to give everyone a chance to carry the ball, so Dax doesn't get a chance to try for a touchdown every game, which can be frustrating for the kid. But, sometimes he gets lucky and gets a few chances in a game. Last weekend he scored two touchdowns (although one was called back for some sort of penalty that I am still not clear about):
Aaaand, he caught his first pass of the season! It is the only time they have thrown it to him, and I think only the second completed pass of the season, so it was fun to see. (They have a completion percentage of about 2% and run the ball pretty much exclusively.)
This weekend is the last football weekend, and it is the "playoffs," whatever that might entail. I think the flag football has been fun, but I asked Dax what sport he wants to do next fall and he isn't sure (flag football again? Back to soccer? Tackle football? Who knows.)
I have nothing but respect for his coaches, and yes there is more than one. Usually there are two, but sometimes there are even three. There HAVE to be more than one, because there are twice as many little boys on a football team as there are on a soccer team. That in itself more than doubles the chaos. Also, in soccer, the kids kind of just run around willy-nilly, but in football, you gotta get all these little crazies to line up in their positions at the beginning of each and every play. Which is an outright CHORE. Bless their hearts, the coaches started out trying to say things like "Dax, move up a little," or "Madden, take a few steps to your left." It didn't take long before the coaches decided this way was easier:
Before each play they are like chess players setting up a game and the kids are their little chess pieces.
The boys are usually pretty good during the games, but practices are another story. Bless those coaches, they have the patience of Job as these little yay-hoos chase each other all over creation trying to pull each others' flags. There have been some extra "runs to the bench" if they are really naughty, which I think is good for them :)
It has been fun, and I am a little sad it is almost over. Go little Pack!


1 comment:
I had to rip up an old towel for "flags" for the front yard games going on over here. The tackle game was strong and too many wee ones went home in tears. Oh boys...
Post a Comment