Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Round One Done

Arden got her braces on right around her 8th birthday.  They were supposed to be on for about 15 months.  It has been a little longer than that, but the time is finally here!  Arden got her braces off a couple of weeks ago!  She gets to wear a retainer now at night, and also gets to have braces again in a few years after more of her permanent teeth come in, but she was happy to be braces-free, even if it is just for a while.  

Look how happy she is!  Have you ever seen a bigger smile?
Just kidding.  They made her put those things in her mouth so they could get some pictures, aren't they awful?  They also made an impression of her teeth for her retainer by shoving a tray full of clay in her mouth and leaving it there for a few minutes.  She took it like a champ, but I could barely look at her without gagging.

Here she is with just a regular smile.  Her teeth look so big and white!
Arden celebrated her new braces-free teeth by inviting a few of her friends over and eating lots of formerly forbidden sticky food, like caramel popcorn, Riesens chocolate caramel candy, and Hi-chews.  (One of Arden's friends that came over still has braces, poor thing, so she had some regular popcorn and alternate snacks.)
So far, Arden has been very good about wearing her retainer at night without being asked, and cleaning it each morning.  We are both glad she doesn't have to wear it during the day, though.  Less chance of losing it this way.  

Now Cora's permanent teeth are starting to come in.  She only has a couple on the bottom so far, and can't wait for her front teeth to fall out.  So far, they aren't looking like they are going to have much room, kind of like Arden's.  I guess I better brace myself (see what I did there?) for more orthodontist visits and bills.

We better eat all the caramel popcorn we can while we have the chance.

2 comments:

Diane said...

I remember you in braces. You have a very enthusiastic gag reflex. I used to feel so sorry for you when they tried to get impressions of your teeth. But look how beautiful you turned out!!!!

Ryan and Amber said...

A. Enthusiastic gag reflex? I am lol-ing
And
B. I can't believe you snapped that first pic of Arden. And she rolled with it! Good sport. Or maybe just on a braces free high!