Monday, August 25, 2008

Daredevil girl (sometimes) and crybaby mom

We took a trip to Bear Lake this weekend, but unfortunately my camera's batteries were dead (of course) so I will blog more about it in a couple of days when I can get some pictures from my mom. But in the meantime I have some little stories about Arden I want to write down:

Last week Preston was out of town again for the whole week, and so I called on my sister Amanda and her husband Matt to come and help me entertain the kiddies one evening. I get a little worn out by the end of the day so it is nice to have some help in the evenings when Preston is gone. We decided to take the kids (well, Arden) swimming. Daxton and I mostly sat around and watched Arden, and "MandaMatt" swim. (funny side note....Arden used to call both Amanda and Matt "MandaMatt." For example, when she was talking to Matt, she would say things like, "MandaMatt, sit right here!" or "MandaMatt, whatcha doing?" Same thing if she was talking to Amanda. It was "MandaMatt, play toys!" I was kind of sad on the day she figured out that they were two different people with different names...anyway...) Arden was pretty fearless when it came to the big waterslide at the indoor pool, and went down it a few times with me and with Amanda. I brought her "floaters" and thought she would be ok to float around in the pool with those, but she pretty much kept a death grip on Amanda's fingers as they went around the lazy river at the Bountiful rec center. I thought if I went in with her she would loosen up and start floating on her own, but the most we could get her to do was to "swim" between us if we were about 2 feet apart. Any farther than that and she wouldn't let go. She wouldn't believe me when I told her she wouldn't sink with the floaters on her arms.

My cousins Kati, Troy, and Autumn and their various spouses/kids came up to Bear Lake too, and Arden had a great time playing with them, especially with Gracie, who is 4 years old. They ran around on the beach all day, collecting sea shells, building sand castles, the usual stuff. Then I was feeding Daxton a bottle and I heard my sister laughing and yelling for Arden to come back. I looked up, and there was Arden, trustingly holding on to Gracie's hand, walking straight out to the deep water. Arden had taken off her life jacket, so she was almost up to her shoulders in the water, and still headed out. One of the nearby adults grabbed her and put her in her life jacket, but I wonder how far out she would have gone with Gracie, who is quite a bit taller than Arden. And, why does she trust Gracie to take her swimming with no life jacket or anything when she won't trust me even with floaters on???

Arden did go for her first ride on the waverunners too. She really liked it! I thought she might be afraid, so we went reeeallly slow at first, but every time I asked her if she wanted to go faster, she said yes. So by the end we were cruising along pretty good, and she would smile and squeal every time we splashed over a wave. It was so much fun!

Finally, today is Daxton's three-month-old birthday. (here are his teddy bear pictures) for those of you keeping track:

When Arden was little, we kicked her out of our room and into her own crib when she was barely 2-months old. But with Daxton, I have been a little slower letting him go. I am not sure if it because he is a much quieter sleeper, or if I am worried that Daxton may be the very last baby we will ever have and if I move him to his own room, it means he is already starting to grow up! But, the bassinet he has been sleeping in is only supposed to support babies that weigh 15 pounds or less, and I am pretty sure he is over that now (I haven't officially weighed him since his 2-month old checkup when he was nearly 13 pounds...mostly to avoid having to move him to his own room). So, I guess tonight is the night, I will try to let him sleep in his own room, clear down the hall (cry, cry) Wish me luck!!

11 comments:

Kirstin Schmidt said...

Daxton is getting so big!! I love his chubby cheeks! Adorable!

Tiffany said...

Arden is such a sweetie! It's funny who they decide to trust, we had a similar experience with Ben when he first went swimming. And Daxton is so cute!

Anonymous said...

So how did last night go? I was the same way with Jason, he didn't move into his own room til he was about 3 months old.

Funny about Arden. She'll be old enough next summer to start swim lessons... maybe then she'll be a bit more consistantly comfortable in the water.

Amanda said...

We had fun swimming, so invite us any time. It was cute to see Arden playing. She knows the pecking order. She was happy to obey the older girls, but she also was bossy to the little ones.

Oh, how is Preston's sunburn. I was in great pain on Sunday. It is better now - but ouch!

Chrystie said...

Last night went ok I guess. Daxton slept great in his crib! Me on the other hand, woke up twice in the middle of the night thinking I heard him making noises and ran (yes RAN!) down the hall to check on him. Both times he was fast asleep and happy. I missed having him right next to me though, and I was so sad to move his bassinet away from the bed :(.

Kate said...

I can't believe how big Daxton is getting! What a doll!

Diane said...

My poor baby! It is a little sad when babies and mommies have to grow up. I think we should be able to have more control over that somehow. Of course, if that were true, you'd probably only be in about 6th grade by now. Ha Ha.

Scott & Jayme said...

15 pounds really? I had Ryker at the clinic today and weighed him just for fun, he will be 3 months on the 2nd of September and today he weighed 11 lbs 5 oz... I love the pictures we took of them together.. I like your bear pictures too!!

Scott & Jayme said...

Oh.. another thing.. your mandamatt comment made my think of when Valerie used to think Jyl's name was angel becuase they always called us "jayme and jyl" and it sounded like jayme, angel.. hehehe

Brindy said...

I love those pictures you take with that adorable bear -- it's fun to see how big he is getting (but sad too!). I hope everything went well for his first night out of your room...I'm sure it was rough for you. It's always a dreaded moment for me too (I usually put it off for too long), but at the same time it's great to have your own space and not worry about him waking you up with every move or vice versa. I hope you've adjusted. :)

Tiffanie said...

Don't tell Arden but Gracie is not lifeguard certified! We had a great time at Bear Lake! Thanks for the invite. I need to start a blog too! I am trying to get inspired!