I have a little piece of sunshine who lives at my house. His name is Daxton. He is theeeeee sweetest, most beautiful and snuggliest little man there ever was. (I realize all you moms out there who have little boys of your own will probably disagree with me...you are of course entitled to your own opinions. But I am sorry, you are wrong and I am right :). Dax has the most adorable peach fuzzy little head and he has to-die-for fat little feet. Everything else in between is so soft and squishy and marshmallowy-squeezable that I know sometimes he probably gets tired of all of the squeezing he gets from me.
.
He is getting to that stage where he is always trying to help. He helps me empty the dishwasher by handing me silverware. He helps me wipe off the table. He helps me pick up toys. However, along with all of this helpfulness Dax is also starting to add a little bit of mischievousness to the mix, which I am a little less excited about.
.
.
Here is one example of what I am talking about. Dax LOVES to take baths and splash around in the water. He thinks it is the funnest thing ever. One day he snuck into the bathroom and discovered that WOW! The big white thing that they call a potty is really just a fun bowl full of water, perfect for splashing!
GACK!
If anyone (usually named Arden) leaves a bathroom door open and Dax notices, his eyes light right up and he starts crawling 100 miles an hour towards the bathroom while making excited little happy noises. Unfortunately for him, (and soooo fortunately for me), these little noises almost always give him away and I drop whatever I am doing and sprint like an Olympian to try to reach the toilet before he does. However, he has snuck through my lines of defense a couple of times, and I have found him standing at the potty, both hands inside, splashing away as happy as can be. He looks up at me with a biiig smile on his face. It is almost like he expects me to say something like, "Wow, Dax! I never knew there was water in there! How fun! I want to splash too!!"
.
Instead, I pick him up (holding him as far away from myself as I possibly can, of course), put on my best serious face and in my most authoritative mommy-is-not-kidding voice I say "DAXTON JOSHUA. DON'T. TOUCH. THE. POTTY." Instead of looking appropriately contrite and repentant, he thinks my serious face and authoritative voice are hil-a-ri-ous, and immediately starts laughing at me. After the last time I found the little splasher (after I had scrubbed and scrubbed his hands, arms, face, etc.) I even tried to put him in his first "time-out," but of course he thought that was great fun too.
At least I am not alone in my not-at-all-scaryness.
.
The other day, Dax had a dirty diaper and Preston got to change him because I beat him at rock-paper-scissors (side note: I have beaten Preston at dirty-diaper-rock-paper-scissors the last 27 times we have played. I am sooooooo in his head! Anyway, back to the story!). I was downstairs and could hear them up in Daxton's room over the baby monitor. Dax was apparently squirming around quite a bit and Preston was having a really hard time wiping him off. I could tell from Preston's voice that he was getting more and more frustrated. Finally, Preston had had enough and and yelled, "DAXTON! HOOOOLD STILLLLL!" I was worried because I know that yelling like that would make Arden burst into tears. I was about to run up the stairs to make sure everyone was ok when I heard Dax giggling hysterically at his funny, funny dad. It made me smile, but I also realized that we may be in trouble. Daxton thinks he is running the show, and he is probably right. We will have to set him straight!
.
When he isn't helping empty the dishwasher or trying to splash in the toilet, he loves to talk on the phone. He says "HI!" really well! Here he is, mid-"hi":
Dax has also mastered sippy cups, and this week he discovered he could drink out of them without using any hands at all! He just holds the spout in his teeth, and tips his head back when he wants a drink:
And finally, I can't go a whole entire post without putting in a picture of Corbie. She is changing so fast. She is starting to lose her newborn baby look and starting to look more like herself. Here is a picture I took of her in her crib a few days ago at five weeks:
Her eyes are staying blue and I think she is starting to look a little more like Arden. Here is a picture of Arden when she was two months old:

What do you guys think, do they look the same? Or do they just both look like babies? It is hard for me to tell.
Anyway, I hope you all have a great Memorial Day weekend!!! We of course are not going anywhere out of town, but are looking forward to celebrating Daxton's first birthday on Monday!
7 comments:
Your going to be in trouble because he is going to be a womans man!! Your going to have tweens on up calling at all hours LOL.
Thank goodness none of my kids liked to play in the toilet. It makes it hard when another kid needs to use it!!
I cant wait to see you guys on monday!
Yup, you're in trouble. You are about as scary as I was, and look how YOU turned out. Ha Ha. You are doing a great job, my lovely. Keep up the good work.
Corbie looks a lot like Arden. The toilet issue is one I've had several problems with. I finally bought locks but they are a real pain and don't work when another little kid is using the toilet because they can't work them and then they will have an accident but they worked with Jackson. Also I think I might have to start the dirty diaper rock paper scissor...I like it!
I agree you are definitely in TROUBLE!!! The scary part that it gets WORST!!!
That's awesome. I remember those days so well.... when the only meaning of "help" was "more work for mom". Congratulations on your rock-paper-scissors victories. Can you give me some tips? I always lose. And our contests are usually worse than a dirty diaper.
Brandice, since I wrote this post I have lost two dirty-diaper-rock-paper-scissors contests in a row! I guess that is what I get for bragging. :)
Keep up your record at the Rock/Paper/Scissors - there is NOTHING that feels as good as schooling your man! :) YAY for you!
Post a Comment