A couple of weeks ago Corbie (finally) figured out how to roll over both ways!! She actually learned to roll from back to front first, since she is NOT a big fan of being on her tummy. She doesn't mind it quite as much now since she learned to roll over, thank goodness. Today I actually got around to getting the rolls on video:
I know she will be crawling before I know it and then I am in some SERIOUS TROUBLE.
Now for the dilemma:
A week or two ago Arden went to gymnastics on a different day than usual because we missed her usual day. One of the other moms there inevitably started talking to me about Corbie and Dax and how close in age they are. We talked for a while about the challenges and benefits of having two babies so close together because she had two that were 19 months apart. After chatting for a while, she asked me, "So were your pregnancies difficult?"
I froze.
.
After the incident at Costco (see prior post), I have been a little hesitant to talk about our adoptions with complete strangers. So I blurted out "No" before I really knew what I was doing. I guess I thought it would just be safer and easier. But I immediately felt guilty. I know that it really isn't anyone else's business how my kids came to be a part of our family, but I still felt bad for lying. And I don't want to hide the fact that my children are adopted; I think adoption is a wonderful and amazing thing. But, I started to feel even worse when she mentioned how she might switch her little boy into Arden's regular gymnastics class because of a scheduling conflict she was having.
Ruh-roh.
Most of the other moms at Arden's regular class obviously know that my kids are adopted (I showed up at gymnastics not pregnant, missed a week or two, and then showed up with a newborn Corbie. Not too hard to figure out). One of her gymnastics teachers also adopted her kids and talks to me about it sometimes. So now if this mom does decide to switch classes, she is going to know that I lied about being pregnant the first time anyone mentions anything about the adoption finalization or whatever. What will she think of me? She will probably think I am a liar, because I guess I am. Arrgghh.
.
So what should I have done? What should I do in the future? Like I mentioned above, I am in no way ashamed or trying to hide the fact that my kids are adopted. Adoption is one of the BEST things that have ever happened to me. I love to talk to people who are interested in hearing about adoption and learning more about it. On the other hand, I don't always want to tell my whole life story to every random person I run across. (You would not believe some of the insensitive and VERY personal questions people ask.) But how can I NOT talk about it without lying or being rude? Any ideas?
And just so we can end on a good note, here is a picture of my cute little girl:
7 comments:
Technically, you didn't have tough pregnancies. :) If she brings it up again just explain that you don't always like telling your life story to every random person. Most likely she'll understand.
I completely agree with Tiffany..you didn't have a tough pregnancies technically but you sure suffered the sleepiness nights. Technically you didn't lie...okay, okay lying is lying but really people are just nosy and you don't have to tell everyone everything. So your beautiful children are adopted and you been truly blessed and not doesn't make you less of a mom and sometime not telling is okay!
Say whatever you feel like. It doesn't change that lady's life however you answer.
As for how you feel as a mom personally. You've earned the right to be their mom, because of all the things you've done for them since they were born.
The first 9 months is important, but the next 90 years is where you prove if you're good parent or not.
That’s tough. I think in situations where strangers are asking you questions and you don’t feel like really getting into it, then I don’t see anything wrong with giving a quick and yet still mostly-truthful answer. If this woman does happen to switch classes then she will more than likely find out you weren’t totally open with her. And then it does look like you were trying to hide something. If that will bother you then just explain to her that you’ve learned that sometimes it’s just easier to not get into details, but you wanted her to know – I think she’ll totally understand.
Cute video! I can’t believe she’s already old enough to be rolling over!
Tiffany is right! YOUR pregnancy wasn't tough. I would say...the pregnancy wasn't tough wating for that phone call to say "WE WANT YOU" was tough.....then let her just sit and think;)
I so agree with Tiffany, Leslie, Holly and Jessica! You are wonderful and dont beat yourself up about it!
I wouldn't worry about that for one more minute. You can say what you want, and if she's nosey enough to
bring it up again just explain why you answered her that way. A couple
of months ago, I ran into a girl in our stake at the grocery store.
obviously we don't know each other too well. As she walked by me she said, "hey,I read your book". I
said "my book"? Yes YOUR book she
answered, acting like I was being
modest.As she walked away, she
said "I loved it" !! At this
point all I could think of to do
was yell "thanks" !! and walk
along my merry way. OK Who did
she think I was? There are some
authors around here, but do I
look like any of them? It's been fun story to tell. Your story
reminded me of it once again.
Post a Comment