Saturday, January 16, 2010

Things are funnier when I am tired...

Preston was out of town this whole week, and by Wednesday I was getting tired...I wrote this post then but didn't get around to posting it until today:

Today started out pretty good. Dax woke up earlier than usual this morning (...no, that isn’t the good part). I brought him back to my room hoping he could watch an episode or two of Shaun the Sheep and that I could get a little more time in bed with my eyes closed. Amazingly, Dax just snuggled with me and soon went back to sleep. It was HEAVEN! Not only did I get to stay in bed a little longer, but I got to get in lots of Daxton snuggles. But all too soon Arden and Corbie were up and it was on with the day.

After a hectic but ordinary breakfast came bath time. Corbie isn’t quite ready for the big tub, so she sits by me while I wash the other two in the big tub, and then I wash her in the baby tub by the sink while the other two play in the big tub. Daxton has been on a throwing things kick lately, and after I got Corbie in her tub Dax started throwing the bath toys around. I told him if he threw one more toy that he would have to get out of the tub. He LOVES the playing in the bathtub, so I thought this would get his attention. However, he immediately threw a boat across the tub, missing Arden’s head by millimeters. I heaved a big sigh, grabbed Dax's dinosaur towel and got the boy out of the tub. The floor was pretty wet due to the fact that Corbie has discovered the joys of splashing. That girl can swamp a bathroom in no time flat. Anyway, I was worried Dax would slip on the wet floor, so I set him down in the hall outside the bathroom door while I got Corbie out of the tub. He immediately stood up, took off his towel, yelled “PEE-PEE!” and proceeded to pee on the carpet. Joy. I had a wet slippery baby in my hands so all I could do was yell for him to STOP! He stopped peeing, smiled at me and ran to Corbie’s room. I quickly wrapped Corbie in her towel and followed Dax, fearful of what I would see when I found him. Sure enough, he was standing in Cora's room, finishing up his pee on the carpet in front of her rocking chair. Huge smile on his face.

Let’s just say the whole day has been like that. Some other highlights:

  • Arden emptying an entire box of Kleenexes into her garbage can, one by one, while I was trying to get Corbie down for a nap. She called it her "tissue mountain."
  • Daxton throwing anything he could get his hands on down the stairs ALL day (it was a fun game the kids played at my sister’s house last weekend. Having a HARD time convincing Dax it doesn’t work at our house).
  • Arden coming down the stairs COMPLETELY BUCK NEKKID and holding her Tinkerbell costume….in the middle of a playdate with 5 other kids and 2 other moms watching. Nice. (I don’t know why she thinks Tinkerbell doesn’t wear panties, but every time she puts on her Tinkerbell costume lately, she wants to go commando. I am pretty sure that all pixies are required to wear underwear, what with the flying overhead and all. There would probably be complaints if pixies went around panty-less. Anyway.....)
  • Arden getting mud all over the floor in Daxton’s room because she was “helping” me water the plants. Such good intentions, such messy results.
  • Corbie almost eating a huge spiderman sticker the Daxton stuck to her shirt. I had to pry it out of the back of her mouth with Corbie screeching like it was the best thing she had ever eaten and why oh why would I take it away?

By the evening I was pretty worn out. While cleaning up, Daxton found the lid to one of our hand sanitizers. He put it in his mouth and squeezed with his teeth, and I swear that lid flew 20 feet and hit the opposite wall. It also made a lovely popping sound as it left his mouth. Immediately Daxton, Arden and I started giggling uncontrollably. For some reason I found it hilarious. He did it again and again and I think he may have found his talent in life. He could hit Arden square in the chest when she was standing at least 10 feet away. Side-splitting entertainment. Only after the initial buzz had worn off a little did I think of getting the video camera to document this important moment for posterity. By the time I got out the camera, some of the thrill was gone, but here is a small idea of what I am talking about:

Is this funny, or am I just completely losing my mind? Probably a little of both.

Luckily, Preston got back early this morning and I am looking forward to getting more sleep tonight. Hopefully my brain will start functioning normally soon.

Also, GO AWAY HAZE!!!

4 comments:

Holly said...

What cheap entertainment! While your week sounds not so fun it's good you can look back on it and see some sort of joy in it all.

Chris W. said...

I think every mom has had one of those days! Had to laugh at the commando tinkerbell - too funny!

Emily said...

This is one of my favorite blogs you've written. Quite entertaining! You have also showed me a peek at what I have to look forward to with little boys. :)

Leslie said...

I agree with Holly cheap entertainment!!!That's so funny about you little girl go commando to wear her tinkerbell costume!