Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Peanut Butter and Jelly Forever!

I met some friends at the park a couple of weeks ago. I packed a lunch for me and the kids, including peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all around. Someone at the park said something like "Oh, you made a peanut butter sandwich for you too? How funny."

What?

Are adults not supposed to eat PB&J's?

If so, I respectfully decline to be an adult.

Peanut butter and jelly is an American classic! I have eaten peanut butter sandwiches my whole life...childhood, teenage years, young adult with NO kids, and up to today. Once I even spent like $14 on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich from room service at the W Hotel in San Francisco (okay, I personally would never spend that much, but it was on the firm's dime). I LOVE peanut butter sandwiches.
.
I assumed everyone else did too.

When I was really little I wanted no crusts and of course white bread only. When I got a little older I loved gobs and gobs of peanut butter on my sandwich. I sometimes switch out the jelly for honey...delicious!. I even enjoy a peanut butter and banana sandwich once in a while (don't knock it before you try it!). I have recently rediscovered the joys of crunchy peanut butter after years of being a creamy devotee. I like them on wheat bread, I like them on white bread, I like them on multi grain bread, I like them on bagels. I like Jif best for crunchy, and I love the natural creamy peanut butters, but creamy Skippy is great too if I am not in the mood to stir. I love all sorts of jellies and jams, but I think raspberry jam is my all-time fave. Sometimes I toast the bread. The possibilities are seriously endless.

I doubt that there has been a month in all of my life (well...since I turned 2 years old, anyway) during which I have not had at least one PB&J. Lately I probably have at least one or two a week. I even learned a song about them in elementary school that I occasionally sing while I make them (Pea-nuuuuut, peanut butter! JELLY! Pea-nuuuuut, peanut butter! JELLY!).

When I first moved out of my house during college, I seriously overdosed on Ramen Noodles and have never recovered. They were SOOO cheap at the store that I bought a ton of them. I ate them nearly every day for a month or two, and then one day I was about halfway through a bowl of noodles, and it hit me. I was sick and tired of Ramen. I couldn't STAND to eat one more bite. It has been years and years since that day and I still can't bring myself to buy those things.

But peanut butter and jelly NEVER gets old.

Yesterday I had crunchy PB on wheat bread with raspberry jam. I put PB on one side, jam on the other. How do you like yours? (What kind of bread? Jelly or jam? Toasted? Triple-decker? Do you mix up your peanut butter and jam before you spread it? )

You may all look down on me now if you wish, but I hope I never grow out of peanut butter sandwiches. I will eat PB&J's till I DIE!!!

9 comments:

Megan said...

Chrystie, I confess that I cannot get my kids to eat peanut butter. NONE OF THEM!! Life would be so much easier if they would. I however, grew up on peanut butter and honey, open face, toasted. Okay, so that's just peanut butter on toast, but I didn't like breads smushed together. I now strangely find honey too sweet and like whatever jam we have,on whatever bread we have, not toasted in traditional sandwich form.

Diane said...

I had a PB&J for lunch yesterday. It must be genetic...

Amanda said...

I LOVE PB&J! Toasted, Skippy crunchy, but it has to be homemade strawberry jam.

Julie Keddington said...

My tastes are the same as Amanda's! Peanut butter is seriously one of my favorite foods! Peanut butter and chocolate make me happy, too.

Val said...

That's what I usually bring for dinner at work! Cuz it's easy and I'm lazy. I impulse bought some Dark Chocolate Almond spread the other day, tried it last night w/bannana. Turned out pretty yummy.

Chrystie said...

Val, I have seen those dark chocolate spreads in the peanut butter aisle, but haven't tried them yet. Mostly because I am afraid I will find myself eating it all with a spoon one night :)

Leslie said...

PB&J is a classic food that never go out of style!!!!

Charlotte said...

I LOVE PB and J's! Toasted, not toasted--either way. Lately I've been loving PB with honey instead. In fact I think I'll go make one now.

Brindy said...

You are too funny! I actually don't mind PB&J's - I prefer that over warm meat and cheese sandwich. Yuck! I am picky with my breads. If I have a PB&J it will be toasted open faced with honey, not jelly. I have had the bananas on it when I was little too, I tried to slip one in Ellie's one day - she didn't go for it. :)