Saturday, September 18, 2010

Showoffs

Cora is growing up so fast (she turned 17 months old this week) and she is getting so smart! The problem is, she is a little too shy to show off her smartness to anyone except me. The other day I was reading a counting book to Daxton, and Cora surprised me with a new trick. I was going to help Dax count some puppies. I pointed to the first one and said "One," and Cora jumped in and yelled "TWO! TEE! FO-WUH! FIE!"

What?!?!?!?

I always seem to underestimate that little girl and how much she knows. Why is that? Anyway, it took a little coaxing to get Corbie to count for Preston when he got home, and she was even more reluctant to share her new trick with my mom and dad when we visited them yesterday. So, here are some of the "show-off" tricks that Cora can do, but that she will probably never EVER show you in real life (Dax wanted to play too). Oh, and I hope you don't get too seasick:

It is funny how differently Cora and Arden act at home compared to how they act around other adults. Arden gets really quiet around other adults, even her aunts and uncles. Her primary teachers have told me how quiet she is too. But as soon as she gets home she must flip a switch or something, because she is loud and talks INCESSANTLY. Cora is really similar. She is usually pretty quiet around other adults, but she talks non-stop at home. I know that if I can't hear Cora talking, she must be doing something naughty. Dax, on the other hand, is pretty loud at home AND wherever else he might be. Is it a boy vs. girl thing?

We were outside playing on the swing set the other day, and Arden was cracking me up with some of the things she was saying. For example, she was swinging and kept yelling: "Mom, I am swinging high as the ball!!" Huh? (After a LOT of questions, I figured out she was trying to say she was swinging "highest of all." However, she thinks that she can swing 1) high, 2) higher, or 3) high as the ball. :-) Later, she said she wanted to play "I Spy." I think she saw this on the TV show "Charlie and Lola," one of her favorites. I agreed to play, and she said, "I spy with my evil eye..." I started laughing so hard I didn't hear what she spied. I told her that she is supposed to spy with her LITTLE eye, not her EVIL eye. Where does she come up with this stuff?

5 comments:

Leslie said...

I agree how funny how our kids act out of the house is sometime so opposite...I can't believe how well Cora is speaking...The I spy...that's classic!!!

Chris W. said...

Too funny! I bet she can give you the evil eye when you're not agreeing with her though. Maybe that's a different kind of I spy...

Val said...

You do have some impressive kids. I got to hear Cora count while I was babysitting today. Arden was working on making words along with the Leapfrog video. And Dax always surprises me by how many songs he knows!

Ryan and Amber said...

I pretty much LOVe the counting and I also love the "I think, Green".... freakin smarties!!

Charlotte said...

I think you have a little genius on your hands. Wow. Maybe Cora can teach Abby to talk.