Wednesday, December 22, 2010

NOT So Merry.....

Yesterday I was at work sitting in a nice quiet office watching the snow out the window and listening to Christmas music (while diligently working, of course) and feeling pretty good. I was planning on dragging the fam to see some Christmas lights when I got home...then my phone rang. I saw that it was Preston calling and I immediately got a sick feeling in my stomach. I am only at work for half a day a week, so he doesn't usually call me at work (other than at the end of the day to ask me if I am coming home yet). He told me that Corbie had jumped off of our ottoman and hurt her foot. She didn't want to walk anywhere and kept saying "Ow," and "Hurt." He said he was going to put her down for her nap and hope she was magically better by the time I got home.

Unfortunately, she wasn't.

It was just after 5:00 p.m. when Cora woke up and still didn't want to walk, so I ran her down to Instacare (not my favorite place), where they did x-rays and all the usual stuff. Corbie was very brave and did just great, and only cried a little during the x-rays. She was excited to get stickers and suckers from all of the nurses who thought she was the cutest thing ever. Every time one of them left our little room, she would give them a big wave and say "Deek oo! Bye! (Thank you, Bye!") The doctor couldn't find a fracture anywhere on the x-rays, but said that she might have a "toddlers fracture," which are hard to see on x-rays. So, in usual Instacare style, they put a great big splint on Cora's whole entire leg and told me to check with a specialist today.

Unfortunately, it seems that all orthopedic specialists in a 50-mile radius are out of the office until after Christmas. Even Primary Childrens said they couldn't see Cora until next Wednesday at the earliest, and that we should just keep her in the splint "just in case" until then. So broken foot or not, my sweet Corbie is stuck in this monstrosity for Christmas:

She can't bend her leg at all, and is back to crawling around the house, poor thing. It breaks my heart! Why do I keep breaking my babies???!?? **sniff***

To make matters worse, Dax seems to have caught Preston's cold and is feeling pretty miserable today, too. I have been carrying them both around all day, trying to sanitize everything in sight to keep the cold away from the rest of us and wondering how on earth I am going to finish the zillion things I need to do to get ready for Christmas and the six houseguests that are arriving on Friday to stay with us for a week.

Now it is foggy and rainy and I must admit it matches my mood.
.
I think I need some cookies!

4 comments:

Holly said...

Oh Chrystie, what a major bummer! What horrible timing. Hopefully you'll find out nothing serious is wrong and it will just be another story you will tell for years to come.

Val said...

Poor Corbie! I was hoping she would be better after her nap :-( And you didn't break your baby, she launched herself rather purposefully off the ottoman. I'm sorry you're feeling so stressed! Hope everyone feels better soon.

Amanda said...

Poor Chrystie! This was totally bad timing. I think Matt and I caught Preston's cold too! Have some cookies and watch It's a Wonderful Life. You will feel better (that is what I did last night, but it was chocolate covered cinnamon bears not cookies)

Leslie said...

So sorry Chrystie!!!! I agree with Holly and keep my fingers crossed that it's not broken!