Monday, September 12, 2011

Grandpa


Today was my Grandpa Haun's funeral. I heard some stories about Grandpa that I hadn't heard before, and it was nice to see how many people loved him. The chapel was full! Grandpa was such a social person, and could strike up a conversation with anyone. As part of the program, all of the great-grandkids sang "Families Can Be Together Forever." Arden and Dax did a GREAT job, I was so proud! (Cora stood up there and looked cute, but I am not sure if she actually sang or not. Proud anyway!) During the viewing that was held before the funeral, I noticed that there was a little book next to the guestbook that said, "Share a memory of Grandpa." Unfortunately I was too busy taking kids to the bathroom and making sure they weren't getting into trouble to actually write anything in the book, but it got me thinking about my favorite memories of him.

I think my favorite memory of Grandpa is also one of my earliest memories of him. When I was four years old, I broke my leg badly in a car accident. After I was finally released from the hospital, I was in a cast that covered the entire lower half of my body. Needless to say, I couldn't walk and had to be in a wheelchair for quite a while. Grandma and Grandpa Haun had come over to our house for a visit, and Grandpa took me for a walk outside. I had been stuck inside for such a long time, first in the hospital and then just in my house. I remember what a beautiful sunny day it was, and how wonderful it felt just to be outside with the sun on my hair and Grandpa pushing me down the sidewalk. A bird was singing nearby, the same few notes over and over. I don't know the name of the bird that sings this song, but Grandpa told me that the bird was singing, "Chrys-tie is bee-you-tee-ful." It made me feel special and happy that he thought I was beautiful when I had that ugly cast on my legs. To this day whenever I hear those few notes from whatever bird sings that little song, I smile and think of Grandpa.

He will be missed.

5 comments:

Ryan and Amber said...

So sorry for your loss but what a sweet little birdie memory you have to cherish along with many others I'm sure. :)

Troy said...

Love that... Please make sure you share with Grandma....

Charmaine said...

Awwww. I loooove your posts. That is so sweet. I am sorry about your Grandpa:(

Diane said...

Oh so sweet! Sometimes we take those around us for granted, and special memories don't stand out. We know they were always there, and that they loved us. I'm glad you have such a good memory, and that many of them are special. I didn't see that little book.

Brandice said...

It was so cute today listening to Dax sitting behind us and asking if the girls were going to sing "I have a family here on earth...". You will always be able to associate that song with the memory of your grandpa's funeral and it will continue to have great meaning for your kids. I'm sorry for the hard time you must be having. Even knowing so much about where we will end up, it is always hard to let go.