Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Arden, the Soccer Beast

Fall soccer is now officially over. I am a little sad to see it go, but I gotta admit it is nice to have my schedule freed up a bit now that we have two less practices and two less games a week. Arden and Dax miss it already too. 

Arden has REALLY improved and scored quite a few goals this fall. The last game, she actually scored two goals!! Yay Arden. She is no longer that timid little four-year-old, running happily after the pack, ooooh no. Now she is Arden, the soccer BEAST, and she will steal the ball from YOU (even if you are on her team) and dribble down and score a goooooaaal! Wahoo! 

What was it that flipped the switch inside of our sweet girl and turned her from sweet little "I-sure-hope-that-ball-doesn't-get-too-close-to-me" Arden into "Get outta my way, I gotta score!" Arden?

Bribery. Pure and simple. Somewhere along the line, I told Arden that if she scored a goal, we could go out for ice cream after. 

Voila. Soccer beast. (We tried the same bribe for Dax but it didn't seem to kick in yet...he is still too busy tackling.)
Doesn't she look scary?

(I unfortunately don't have very good video of our girl in action...I only remembered to bring the camcorder to one game. I WAS actually filming while Arden scored a goal, but I got a little excited and so the camera wasn't exactly pointing in the direction of the goal when she kicks it in. Oops). 
She loves her team and her coach, and we are already looking forward to spring!

1 comment:

Diane said...

We used to promise McDonald's. It didn't work very well. But then, my kids grew up to be excellent defenders, stopping those other kids trying to score.