My Grandma turns 91 years young this week! Happy Birthday Grandma!
We have been bringing Grandma dinner once a week for the past few months since her arthritis started really acting up last year and she has trouble standing up for very long. The kids really enjoy going over and messing up Great-Grandma's house and playing with all of her fun stuff. They never got to meet my Grandpa Wilson, so I am glad that they are getting the chance to know Grandma. Even though we have been spending a lot of time over there, I realized that I hadn't really taken any pictures of Grandma or the kids playing at her house. So last week we decided to give Grandma an early birthday dinner, and that gave me an excuse to bust out the camera.
We got Grandma some Chinese food take out from the Mandarin. She says that her and my grandpa used to always get Chinese food for a treat, and my mom remembers her getting fried shrimp with red sauce and the hot mustard, so we got her some of that and she seemed to enjoy it. She used up all the spicy mustard pretty quick and was wishing they had given her more. Grandma likes the spicy food! We had a few other dishes and we all shared. Then we opened some fortune cookies. Well, Arden opened most of them, and one of them said something like "You will soon have a bushel full of money." Nice!
The kids never seem very interested in eating much food at Grandma's. They eat a few bites and then they run into the living room. Arden likes to play with Grandma's old player piano, which you have to pump with your feet. She is pretty good! Dax and Cora just like to find anything that is breakable and carry it around until I catch them and take it away (just kidding....but it seems like that is what they like to do). Some of the other favorites are the plastic tablecloth Grandma has that can be colored on and wiped off, the Lite-Brite (I am pretty sure I used to play with it as a kid), a plastic tic-tac-toe game, and a fishing game that has little plastic fish you try to catch with a little plastic pole as they go around in a circle. They have pretty much destroyed that game (sorry, Grandma!).
We got Grandma some chocolates for her birthday. Here she is unwrapping the present...er, watching her little helpers unwrap it for her:
Then Cora showed Grandma the cards that the kids had made for her.
After the presents, we had some cake. I tried to frost "Happy Birthday Grandma" on it, but it got a little squooshed on the way over. Oh well. By this time, she was threatening to "give me a lickin'" for taking so much trouble. Every week she calls us "rascals" for even bringing her food. How cute is she?
.
I think she had a little help blowing out the candles, too.
After cake (which the kids seemed to have plenty of time to finish and even ask for more), Arden and Grandma read Peter Rabbit together for a while:

2 comments:
I heart adorable grandmas and people that share the love with said grandmas. No wonder I like you you sweet thang. ;)
So fun. And I love your pictures! Getting Mom to let you take her picture can be tricky!
Post a Comment