Monday, April 30, 2012

Turks & Caicos - Finally the End

Day 7
Sheesh, I sure talk alot about vacations.  Sorry.  I am getting old and my memories fade almost as quickly as my tan.  So I have to get some of this stuff down before I forget it all. 

On day 7, Preston and I went scuba diving!  Grandpa and Grandma and Val agreed to watch the kids for us again.  Yay!  I am telling ya, it is the only way to travel.  (Actually, I am pretty sure the kids preferred it when Preston and I were gone.  Everything is more fun with just Grandma, Grandpa and Val, without mom there telling them to stop throwing sand and don't hit your brother with the shovel and don't drag your beach towel through the water and stuff like that.  Dax especially loved getting to hang out with Grandpa every day, and was even asking Grandpa to help him go potty instead of me, but Grandpa wasn't too excited about that.  Anyway...back to the trip) 

Preston and I have been scuba diving since we were married so we have been quite a few places.  Preston likes to get a couple of dives in whenever we go on a trip.  Unfortunately, my camera is only good for snorkeling so I didn't even bring it with me on our little scuba adventure.  After we were on the boat I realized I could have taken pictures of all of the beautiful scenery we saw as we drove the boat around almost half of the island to reach our dive site, I could have used it to take pictures of us as we were all suited up in our dive gear, and I could have used it to take pictures of Preston as he snorkeled around the boat between dives to try and keep himself from getting too seasick.  But oh well. 

We did two dives off the western coast of the island.  The waters were much less choppy here than over on the north side where we were staying, which was good for Preston.  We did two dives, one was called the Chimney because there was a kind of tunnel in the side of the reef that we could swim down.  The coral was really pretty, and we saw lots and lots of fish.  We also saw 4 or 5 pretty good size reef sharks, and I was really wishing I had my camera with me so that I could have shown the pictures to Dax.  I saw a turtle, an eel, and a couple more rays.  Preston saw some garden eels, but I missed them.

After we got back (and Preston ate a big lunch since he wasn't feeling well enough to eat any of the snacks on the dive boat), we decided that since it was our last full day we better go souvenir shopping for real.  I like to get a Christmas ornament whenever we go on a vacation, so we looked around a little and found one that I liked.  Somehow the kids all ended up with a t-shirt, and I got a hoodie to keep me warm in case the Atlanta airport was as cold on the way home as it was on the way here.  Everyone else picked up a few things, and we finished our little shopping expedition at a cute little ice cream parlor that had a sandbox out front:
Dax and Cora ordered the "Extra Large"
Just kidding...it is plastic.  Looks real in the picture, though doesn't it?

We went back to the house to regroup and decided to go and watch the sunset back at Sapodilla Bay, since the sun didn't set over the ocean at our beach.  Before we left, I wanted to get a picture of these pretty flowers over the doorway to the canal behind our house (where there was a kayak we never got around to using).  Preston made me go get in the picture, so I here I am:
The sunset at Sapodilla Bay was amazing:

After the sun finally set, we put the wet kids in the car and headed back for dinner and bedtime. 

Day 8
Our plane left on Wednesday about mid-day, so we got up early (actually Dax got us all up early every day, but that is how he rolls) and went back to our beach for one more tickle:
One more chance to feel to sand beneath our feet:

...and one more snorkel.  Goodbye little stripey fishes and pretty corals!
Goodbye beach!  I hated to leave those chairs all lonely and empty under that umbrella.  Seems wrong!
 We somehow packed up all our stuff into our 72 suitcases and headed to the little Provo airport.  As we took off, Preston took this picture out the window of the airplane.  You can see the barrier reef off the coast of the island and the deep ocean beyond.  Our little beach is down there somewhere!
The kids did great on the flights home, and we are now pretty much adjusted back to our lives on the mainland.  It was a really fun trip...now to start thinking about next year...

1 comment:

Leslie said...

photos are so beautiful!!! What a great vacation.