Saint Patrick's Day was last weekend. Truth be told, I have no real idea who Saint Patrick was or why he has his own holiday, but we celebrate it nonetheless. And how did we celebrate it? Well, the way we Zauggs celebrate most of our holidays. Through food!
We did other things, of course. We made shamrock art. We wore green clothes. (Dax changed his clothes halfway through St. Paddy's day, and his second outfit had no green. I gently pinched him and he threw a fit. It is the RULE! Anyways...)
We also watched a DVD of "Darby O'Gill and the Little People." Has anyone out there seen this movie? I had seen it when I was young, but it had been years and years since I saw it last. A few days ago I took the kids to the library I noticed it on the shelf and grabbed it, thinking the kids might like it. I actually enjoyed it as least as much (and probably more) than they did. The story is fun, the special effects are awesome (especially considering it was made before computers) and the actors are great. And, of course, in what other movie can you hear a handsome young Sean Connery sing? Mmmmmm yes, please!
The only drawback was that I was singing "My pretty Irish girl" all weekend long. I am sure Preston got pretty sick of it, but Cora liked it. She even asked for it as a lullaby for a night or two.
"Oh, she is my dear, my darlin' one,
Her eyes so sparklin' full of fun.
No other, no other can match the likes of her!
Yes, she is my dear, my darlin' one,
My smilin' and beguilin' one.
I love the ground she walks upon!
My pretty Ir-ish girl!"
That is my Cora....well, all except the part about her being Irish.
Anyway, back to the food. First up we made sugar cookies. I used a new recipe with cream cheese it it, and it was awesome! The only problem was that the only shamrock cookie cutter we had was the kind that tries to stamp a picture in the dough, and this dough was way too sticky. So, we used our Easter cookie cutters (flowers, bunnies, etc.) and just frosted them green. Easter and St. Paddy's are pretty close together this year, so I declared it legal. Here are the kids, working on their sprinkles:
For breakfast, instead of our usual green pancakes, Preston made green eggs and ham (the ham wasn't green, just the eggs) in honor of Dr. Seuss. Preston has another tradition of making corned beef and cabbage every year. It is not my favorite, but since it is only once a year I smile and am just happy someone else is making dinner.
This year we put the crock pot in the car and drove the corned beef up to Preston's mom's house so she could share with us. She decorated her table up very fancy and green, and even had a little Leprechaun figure in the middle. Fresh from Darby O'Gill, the kids were excited to see him AND his little pot of gold. They were even more excited to find out the gold was actually chocolate coins with gold wrappers. I am pretty sure they would much rather have had the chocolate than actual gold.
Can you see how excited Preston is for his corned beef?
And here are the kids!
My littles are carnivores, so they were pretty excited about the meat, but didn't enjoy the cabbage as much. Can't blame them there. Luckily there were more familiar vegetables like carrots that they could eat instead. (sidenote: I told Dax that if he eats his carrots he will be able to see better because carrots have a vitamin that is good for your eyes. My mom used to tell me that. Anyway, the other night Dax left something outside and didn't remember until he was in bed. Preston went out and found it and brought it to Dax. It was dark by then, so Dax asked Preston if he had used a flashlight. "Nope, just my eyes," Preston said. Dax's eyes opened wide and he said, "You could see it wif your carrots?")
Next year I should really hit wikipedia and look up good ol' St. Patrick and learn some more about him. I do enjoy his holiday!


4 comments:
The only thing I really remember about Darby O'Gill is that the banshee scared the heck out of me when I was little. I was afraid to open the door to my bed room at night for a like a week afterwards.
St. Patrick chased the snakes out of Ireland. How this turned into wearing green and leprechauns and pots of gold, I have no idea!
I make corned beef every year too and Nate laments that we don't have it more often. Must be a Zaugg thing. This year I sent him shopping for me and somehow a second corned beef made it into the cart so I guess we'll be having it again in the near future.
I have to say corned beef and cabbage just sounds um how shall input this NASTY! I opted for a typical roast and potatoes dinner with green food coloring added to the mashers. It's all a little bit quasi-holiday to me but I am all for celebrating in march winds when the calendar calls for it!
Just don't make green tuna . . .
Post a Comment