Wednesday, August 28, 2013

First Day of School 2013

I knew the day was coming...of course I did, I have a calendar...but it still surprised me.  The first day of school is here already?  And my baby boy is going to kindergarten?  

Who am I kidding, this kid is HUGE and hasn't got a single ounce of baby left in him.  

**sniff**  

Here is my boy, doing the obligatory "first day" pose on the stairs.
Was he nervous for kindergarten?  No way.  This kid has been asking just about every time we drove by the school if kindergarten was tomorrow.  Finally, tomorrow is today!  Dax, how do you feel?
Arden is in second grade this year.  (I know, I know...second grade?  Insanity.)  She was excited about the teacher she was going to have this year, and she was happy that one of her bestest friends was going to be in her class, and a few of her other friends were there too.  She was excited for the first day too!
She got to pick out her backpack, and she chose this one with the bikes on it, "because I love riding my bike."  She is a champ bike rider, and isn't she cute?
Well, hurry up and get in the car and lets go down to the school.  The theme at school this year apparently has something to do with superheroes, because there was a flock of them wandering around outside the school.  Dax was very excited to see his favorite, Spiderman!  We got a quick picture on the way in...I also noticed that there were two Supermans.  Maybe it just seemed like there were two of him because he was using his super speed?  Or maybe one was Bizarro Superman (yes, my husband is a superhero nerd and I have picked up a thing or two).  Anyway.....
First, we took Arden to her classroom.  She was glad to see that she was sitting by one of her favorite friends (who isn't a girl) and also by another boy who was in her class last year.  She was all set, and all smiles.  See ya later, mom!  Second grade is going to be awesome!

Next we headed to kindergarten.  We had a little orientation meeting there, and his first official day is tomorrow.  While the moms were busy signing up to volunteer for this and that, the kids were working!  Here is Dax, writing his name on his very first kindergarten worksheet!  
Then they headed over to the mat for the very first time to hear their very first story.  Dax picked the square with the alligator on it (it was as close as he could find to a dinosaur, I guess):
 As the story progressed, Dax started to get cozy with and cute girl who had chosen the square next to him.  That's my boy.  He loves the ladies:
After we picked up Arden after school, we headed to get some celebratory FroYo!
Cora doesn't start preschool until next week, poor thing, but we let her have a treat anyway.

This first day of school was so much easier than last year's version!  I didn't cry, Arden didn't cry, nobody cried!

Today was a busy day for Arden, she had school, then gymnastics, then soccer.  I asked her while I was tucking her in what the funnest thing she did today was, and she said, "School!"  I am so happy that she is glad to be in second grade, and knows what to expect with the long days.

Dax's first real go-to-school-without-Mom day is tomorrow, so we will see if I start crying then....wish me luck.

1 comment:

Ryan and Amber said...

They look so cute and bright eyed! I wish you good luck when little Cora is gone too. Your house will echo!