Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Cora Stole My Camera

While I was getting pictures off my camera the other day, I found about 100 pictures that Cora had taken, mostly without my knowledge.  I remembered she took a couple of pictures around the kitchen last week, but I hadn't realized the extent of her photo shoot.  (Thank goodness for digital photography, how did we exist before it was invented?  And how weird that my kids have no idea there was ever anything different?   Film?  What?  Waiting for days and days to see what the pictures looked like?  Wasn't your camera just on your cell phone?  You didn't even HAVE a cell phone?  Were dinosaurs roaming around too?)  Anyways, here are a few of the highlights from Cora's little photo adventure:

First, she took a picture of the TV playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles...guess who was watching that?


Yup, our boy Dax.  She took a dozen or so of him sitting on the couch watching TV, and this was my favorite.  It was the only one where anything interesting was happening.  Just keepin' it real:
I learned that Cora is ALL about the extreme close-ups.  Here is one example of what I am talking about...this is one of several very very close close-ups she took of an owl she made at art class.  Shiny.

She went after me next.  Since there is no way in heck I was letting her do an extreme close up on me, she made me do a "supermodel pose."  Hmmmm...she is much better at those than I am.
 A few days ago the kids and I made sticker scenes with some Halloween stickers.  In mine, Frankenstein and his bride are happily standing in front of their haunted house holding hands (say that four times fast).  Cora must have liked it since she took a few very close ups of them.  These stickers are like 1 inch tall in real life.  I made this beautiful art a couple of days before Preston and I watched the actual original "Bride of Frankenstein" off of the DVR, which I had somehow never seen before.  In that movie Frankenstein didn't even get close to holding her hand  Boooo!  Come on, girlfriend!  Your hair looks like an electrocuted skunk's tail and you think you are too cool for Frankie?  I know he has a couple issues, but maybe you need to manage your expectations just a teeny bit.  Just sayin'.
Cora took about 20 pictures of this butterfly she drew recently.  It is beautiful, but this isn't one of my favorite butterflies of Cora's because 99% of her butterflies have happy smiling faces on them, and this one doesn't.  I will have to remind her to add one.  
Aaaaand, yet another very close up of a couple of Cora's favorite toys.  What is with the huge eyes on toys lately?  My kids are big fans of the My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic show (yes, even Dax.  He is a Bro-nie and proud of it) which is okay with me, but I swear the eyes on those ponies are so big that there would very little room left in their heads for their brains.  And, what the heck is up with those other toys with the buttons for eyes?  Does that seem creepy to anyone else?  Just me?  Oh.  
And here is a picture of Cora's un-made bed.  That's right, I am a slacker.  The kids beds are not made most mornings before they get off to school...we just don't have it worked into the morning routine.  Right now, our morning routine consists of the essentials only, and we are pretty lucky to get those done.  For reals.

I know there is going to be one day this year when Dax is going to have to go to school in his pajamas.  Every morning, after he has his two or three breakfasts (not kidding...this morning he had two bowls of cereal and a waffle), I send him upstairs to get dressed.  I finish packing Arden's lunch and put the dishes away and head upstairs, and there is Dax, still in his jammies.  I remind him more forcefully that it is time to get dressed for school, and he says something like "o-KAY!" and heads to his room and closes his door.  I do Arden's and Cora's hair and start them brushing their teeth because it is about time to get in the car.  Hey, where is the boy?  He needs to brush his teeth too and I still need to do something with his hair.  I find him in his room...of course, still in his PJs.  Chaos ensues until we are out the door.  That, unfortunately, IS part of our routine.

And really, I am not that good at having the kids make their beds every day when they get home from school either.  They don't love it, especially Cora.  Cora doesn't love it so much that when she does get her bed made nicely, she wants to sleep on top of her covers at night to avoid messing it up so she doesn't have to start all over again the next day.  The sad part is, I can kind of see her point.
There were quite a few other pictures of stuffed animals, but you get the picture. (Ha!)

I know, I am lame.

You love me anyway.

2 comments:

Val said...

I'm with Cora. Before getting married, I hadn't made my bed for years. What is the point, exactly? To keep dust off the sheets? Whose house THAT dusty? I do it every day now, and still think it's an exercise in futility.

Ryan and Amber said...

You know what? I think that A - you totally have the supermodel pose DOWN and B - Dax should come stay at this house for a while. Seriously, the fact that he eats breakfast(s) and picks his nose means he has had a full FULL and productive day. Ha Ha