Thursday, September 4, 2014

First Week of School - Oh the Places We'll Go

Back to the first day of school!  Here are the obligatory first-day of school pictures.   
Cora (a.k.a. my baby), is in KINDERGARTEN!
 Dax (a.k.a. my baby boy), is off to FIRST GRADE:
Arden (a.k.a. my first baby), is all ready for THIRD grade (what??):
 
The theme at school this year is "Oh, The Places You'll Go" from Dr. Seuss.  I have always loved that book.  Okay, guys!  Today is your day!  You're off to great places, you're off and away!  
With your brains in your head and your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself any direction you choose!

First, we chose to take Arden to her class since she was experienced at this school stuff.  I was actually surprised at how nervous she was as we took her into her classroom.  She knew she had friends in her class and we had heard her teacher was good, but she still looked scared and sad as I hugged her goodbye.  Luckily, one of her best friends came in right after her and they sat together for the first week, which helped a lot, especially that first day.

Dax was really excited to finally start first grade!  He was mostly excited to eat lunch at school and get THREE recesses.  He wasn't nervous AT ALL and smiled and waved happily as I walked out of his classroom.  It made it much easier for me not to be too much of a crybaby.  (Pleeeeease be good, Dax!)

I really had no time to be much of a boob, because I had to head right over to kindergarten with Cora for her first-day orientation.  Cora was kind of disappointed that she only got to be at school for an hour on the first day.  For the next couple of days the kindergartners went in one at a time to do testing, so Cora was really feeling left out of the whole school thing, as she watched Arden and Dax go without her.  Don't worry Cora!  Soon you'll escape all the waiting and staying, before long you will be the one learning and playing!

Dax and Arden seemed to be doing okay the first couple of days.  Dax got in some trouble for playing too rough at recess, but other than that things were going pretty well!  On Wednesday we found a good place to go, and finally took ourselves to the Ogden Temple open house.  It was so beautiful with the sunset!
The kids were really good, and loved to have me tell them about when they were in the temple as babies.  I loved to remember it too,but it doesn't seem that long ago to me.  But somehow my babies are not so little anymore!  But they are still cute:
Finally, Thursday came and it was Cora's official first day of kindergarten.  When it was time for them to go in, Cora gave me a little wave and happily went to class.  She was all ready to go, with her head full of brains and her shoes full of feet.  Oh, my heart hurts a little.
Cora loved her first day!

Only one early-out Friday to go, then Labor Day weekend will be a nice rest.

However....

Around lunchtime on Friday, the school called.  When I saw the number on the caller ID, my first thought was that Dax was in some kind of trouble.  Turns out, I was kind of right.  Dax had fallen off the monkey bars and was hurt.  Preston was working from home, so I asked him to watch Cora while I went to check on Dax.  As soon as I opened the doors to the school, I heard Dax crying from down the hall, and I could tell that something was really wrong.  I got to the office and saw that Dax was holding his right arm.  He wouldn't move it at all or let anyone touch it.  He couldn't even get up from the chair, so I had to carry him out to the car.  I called Preston to let him know I wouldn't be home and headed to the Instacare, feeling pretty sure that we had a broken arm on our hands. Sorry, buddy, but sadly it's true.  Bang-ups and hang-ups can happen to you.
Yup, after the Instacare nurse nearly drove me crazy by making Dax stand against the wall to get measured and walk over to the scale to get weighed, we finally got some X-rays.  Official diagnosis: Type 1 supracondylar fracture...a.k.a. a broken elbow.  Bummer!
 Dax got some medicine, a splint and a sling, and started feeling much better.  We were slated to do the annual Zaugg family camping weekend, but of course we couldn't make Dax sleep on the ground with a broken arm.  Lucky for us, the camp out was being held at Bear Lake this year, and we happen to know somewhere near there that has nice soft beds for boys with broken arms.  Dax really wanted to go, and even though he was sad not to sleep in a tent, he decided the cabin would be okay.  So, we decided to pack up anyway and head right out of town.  It was a really pretty weekend, if a little cool. The lake was sooo blue:
I did a HORRIBLE job of taking pictures.  It was a little cold for waverunning, but we tried it a couple of times anyway.  Mostly we just spent time with family, hanging out around the campfire.  Dax was pretty good at just playing at a slow pace, and spent a lot of time just hanging out in the hammock.  Cora and Arden and all the girl cousins had a great time making up dances on the little outdoor stage near the campsite.  We had a fun weekend, and I must admit I didn't feel too bad about missing out on sleeping in the tent.

Dax finally got his cast on Monday, and can you guess what color he chose?  Yup.  Green.
 His whole first grade class signed it for him today, and he was pretty excited.

So...there was some good and quite a bit of bad that first week or so of school.  Hopefully week two can be better.  We are ready to move some mountains.

So, be your name Daxton or Arden or Bray,
Or Corbiecakes Ali Van Allen O'Shay,
You're off to great places,  
You're off and away!
Your mountain is waiting.
So, get on your way.

But stay off the monkey bars.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Love this post, and your family. I always loved that book, too!

Megan said...

So great!!

Ryan and Amber said...

Oh man Dax! I broke my elbow at the age of five too. It's a curse. But the flow of excuses to not write or do homework should make him feel a tiny bit better. ��