Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Furst Grayd Spellink

I love it when they let first graders try to spell stuff on their own.  It is so fun to see what they come up with.  Dax has so far been my most inventive speller, and he came home with a beauty the other day.  He was supposed to list some jobs that he knows.  See if you can figure these out, it is kind of like some kind of brain teaser puzzle!

1.  Melkereer
2.  Bakre
3.  Plee's ofisrr
4.  Doktorrrr
5.  Ormee gi
6.  Gran dootee

Did you get any of them?  A couple aren't so hard, but I needed some help from Dax to get one or two.  Here are the answers for you (1) mail carrier, (2) baker, (3) police officer, (4) doctor, (5) army guy, (6) gound duty (what they call the adults who watch over them while they are at recess).

He was supposed to then choose one career and write a few sentences.  He picked "army guy," and here is what he wrote:  
Yup, he doesn't have the best hand writing, and breaking his right arm earlier this year didn't help.  But here is what it says if you can't read it.  In the bubbles coming down from "aormee" (army), he was supposed to write three things he would need for this job.  He put "aormee school," "Gun," (of course), and "kumputr" (computer).  

Then his sentences below...First, "I need to join the ormee."  Next, "I fit (fight) other bad armee."  Then, "I rest.  Then we go fit (fight) agaen."

He had one last page when he wrote a draft of his final paper (which I haven't seen yet, but the draft is pretty awesome.).  It says, "For my occupation, I want to be in the aormee.  I will go to aormee school.  I will prtekt (protect) the Erth.  Something I will ues is a gun and a kumputr.  I hope I will be the best."

Awesome.  

We had parent teacher conferences this week and all the kids are doing great.  Dax needs a little work on his writing, obviously, but I will admit that I will be a little sad when he starts spelling things better.  

In the meantime, maybe I should make up some sort of board game based on deciphering first grade writing.  

4 comments:

Holly said...

I'm surprised I was able to get all but #6 - Jason still has to help me figure out some of his creative writing. Cute stuff!

Ryan and Amber said...

You had me at the title... Winner winner chicken dinner if a blog post my friend. And is it wrong if I hope my boys don't write right like your cute Dax... At least for a while??

Amanda said...

I totally could read that, but my spelling hasn't improved much since I was his age.

Charlotte said...

So sweet! I love that you've documented this cuteness.