Sunday, November 2, 2014

Halloween 2014!

It's over already??  Another Halloween has come and gone flying by.  This October has been BEAUTIFUL!  The weather has been in the 70's and beautiful sunshine just about every day.  

As you know, we take our pumpkin carving pretty seriously around here.  For some reason, I took lots of pictures of our pumpkins and completely skipped other stuff.  We went to the pumpkin walk in Syracuse this year, and here is the only picture I took:


It was fun to see the pumpkins, and they had a projector shining on some pumpkins that made it look like they were talking...I want that for next year!  We also made our traditional trip to Krispy Kremes afterwards, and lucky us the light was lit and we got to have the nice, hot, fresh free samples!  Yum.  

We carved our pumpkins on the night before Halloween, and it was nice to do some of it outside this year since the weather was so nice.  Cora wanted a "cat" pumpkin, so we gutted the sucker, I drew on the design and Preston, the designated pumpkin cutter, got to work, with Cora closely supervising.

Olive was kind of wondering why Preston was carving a CAT pumpkin.  What about a DOG??  Olive actually seemed to like the taste of pumpkins, and we had to put her on the leash to keep her from eating the pumpkin guts.  Weird dog.  She fits right in.
Arden wanted a "spooky face," so I drew one on.  The kids aren't allowed to cut them, and I am not very good cutting out anything but triangle eyes, so we had to wait patiently for Preston to get done.  Arden wanted to pose anyway...


Dax wasn't sure what kind of pumpkin he wanted to have.  He had recently lost one of his two front teeth, so I chose for him:

Preston's pumpkin just had the "Pi" symbol on it (get it?  Pumpkin Pi?  Heehee!).  We ran out of time before we got to my pumpkin, so here were the first four on Halloween Eve:

I think Arden's spooky one was my favorite...

The kids had Halloween day off of school since it was the last day of the term.  We had a lazy morning, then got everyone in their costumes and took them to visit some Grandmas.  My Grandma Wilson is finally out of rehab for her broken hip and back in her own house!  Yay!  She is still getting some in-home physical therapy and we had to do some rearranging, but she is glad to be home.

After we got home, we had to rush around a little to finish up the last pumpkin and find all our trick-or-treat stuff so we could head over to a pre-trick-or-treat pizza party with some friends.  I make the kids do a little photo shoot every year before trick or treats, and here is this year's edition.  Here is our Elsa from Frozen!  There were a LOT of Elsa's this year, but Arden didn't mind.  She loved it!  I loved her Elsa pose:
Since big sister was Elsa, little sister is....you guessed it, Elsa's little sister, Anna.  Awwwww!
The girls tried to get Dax to be Olaf, but he wasn't having it.  He wanted to be a JEDI.  He chose Anakin Skywalker (I couldn't find his light saber fast enough to get it in the picture).
Here is the whole bunch together (Dax is just about to pass Arden and Dax are exactly the same size, and they tower over little Cora.  
At the pizza party, Olive got to try to wear a costume that was too small for our friends' dog.  She was a punk rocker dog.  She wasn't too excited about the whole thing and could shake the costume off of her head pretty easy, so we gave up pretty quick, but here is a blurry picture to document our attempt:
 After pizza, we lined all the kids up for a group picture...here they are, ready to get some CAN-DAY!
 I recycled my Sally from Nightmare before Christmas costume:

I lit up the pumpkins and handed out the candy.  We had a ton of trick-or-treaters, I suppose because the weather was so warm.  My pumpkin was a spooky-looking guy that reminded me of a scary guy from Scooby-Doo.  I cut out the nose and messed it up, so Preston had to cut the rest.

Here are all five of our pumpkins on Halloween night:

After Trick-or-Treats, our next door neighbors had invited us to a big party at their house.  It was fun! There was a bounce house for the kids, movies in their theater room (posh!) and lots and lots of food.  It was pretty fun, but I have no pictures to document it.  By the time we left the party it was way past bedtime, and the kids were actually really tired out and went right to sleep despite all the sugar coursing through their veins.

And just like that, it was over. And the next day a cold front came through and it looks like we have seen the last of the 70s until spring ;-(.

It was a fun Halloween!

3 comments:

Diane said...

Those pumpkins took a lot of carving! Yay you for the drawings, and yay Preston for the cutting!

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan and Amber said...

Oh I know, I know... Halloween night was the beautiful calm before the storm. BOO!
But seriously? Your pumpkins? Please send Preston down this way next year. My kids may never experience anything but the triangle eyes their whole lives. HA HA