Friday, February 6, 2015

The Things I Wonder About At 3 A.M.

As I may have mentioned, Preston is a snorer.  Especially if he has any kind of sniffle, or cold, or allergy or anything remotely close to a sniffle, cold, or allergy.  Or if he is perfectly healthy and just laying on his back.  Usually, I will roll him over once or twice, and if the snoring continues I relocate to the couch.  A week or two ago, my relocations were getting pretty frequent, so Preston gallantly volunteered to sleep downstairs one night so I could actually spend a whole night in my own bed.  I happily went to sleep.

Around 3 a.m., I rolled over and saw this:
(It was really dark so I couldn't tell at all what I was taking a picture of, so everything got a little cropped out of the frame.  But, if you can't tell, next to me is Cora, dead asleep all curled up in a little ball with her knees up to her chest.  Snuggling right next to Cora's hindquarters is Olive, and unfortunately cropped out of the picture, she is laying on her back with her hind feet pretty much straight up in the air.)

After I did a double take, here is what ran through my half-asleep brain:

When the heck did Cora get in here without waking me up?  Wait...
Does that mean that a stranger could come in my house and get right in my bed with me without my noticing?  Nice.

Aw, she's so cute.  She is sleeping just like a little baby, with her knees up like that....Wait.

How in the world is it comfortable for her to sleep like that?

And the dog is sleeping like a person, flat on her back.  Except a person's feet don't fly up in the air. Dogs are weird.  In lots of ways.  They can't sweat.  They run really fast.  It totally bugs me when I take Olive on runs and she is barely above a walk while I am going as fast as I can.  Dogs also eat their own barf.   Wait...

Why is the barf-eating dog taking up half the bed?  She has her own bed on the floor.  Well, I read somewhere that dogs are pack animals and like to sleep with their pack.  I wonder if I am the alpha dog.  Who am I kidding?  Cora is obviously the alpha dog.  Wait...

Are Cora's legs falling asleep?  What if all the blood flow is cut off, will she be able to walk tomorrow? And, at what point in your life are you too old to sleep in the fetal position like that?  I don't know if I ever slept like that.  Wait...

What are the odds that this is the one night that Cora accidentally pees the bed?

Why don't I have a waterproof mattress cover on this bed?

Should I try to move her, or would that wake her up?  I really don't want to do a tantrum right now.  Best not to risk it.

Hmmmm...if she is staying here, she doesn't look very covered up.  But the dog is on top of the blanket.  If I try to pull the covers up, will it wake up the dog?
If the dog wakes up, will she want me to take her outside?  It is cold, I don't want to take the dog out in the middle of the night.  Even if she doesn't want to go out, will she wake up Cora?  I guess I will just leave it how it is.  It is actually pretty cute.  Wait...

Should I take a picture of this?  Yup.

2 comments:

Ryan and Amber said...

Ryan and Preston might have to have a dude pad if they keep up this annoying snoring. And sadly - we too had a little bunkin - no wait - TWO in our bed last night. Mama said there'd be days like this, eh?!

Holly said...

Love this!