A few weeks back, I was at home trying to clean up the kitchen (again) when I got a text from my sister that my mom and dad had been in a car accident. Wha? My dad had said something like "We aren't seriously hurt, but we can't breathe well and are going to the hospital in an ambulance." Wha-wha??
After a couple of hours of not hearing anything else, my sister and I finally figured out which hospital they were at, and I headed down there to see what the heck was going on. I tracked them to the emergency department where they were still being treated. When I found them my mom was sitting in a wheelchair near my dad who was in a bed. My mom looked exhausted and was a funny color (kind of yellow) and my dad was clearly in some pain and had a mean seat belt burn across his neck/shoulder area. I was a little freaked out, but they assured me that they had no broken bones. My mom had actually just been discharged but my dad had a nasty hematoma on his leg that they wanted a different doctor to look at.
(Ew.)
They told me the story that they were driving down the highway near their house, which has a 55 mph speed limit. A car coming the opposite way spun out right in front of them and there was no time to swerve much and they hit the car head on. The people in the other car were sent to a different hospital (and luckily they had insurance).A little bit after I showed up, my little brother Beej walked in. We decided he would take mom home and I would hang out with dad. A couple of doctors paraded in and out, and they decided to call a specialist in to make sure they didn't need to do surgery. What could we do but wait? My dad's back was really bothering him, but before too long the doctor showed up in her "active wear," took a look and asked some questions and finally gave dad the okay to go home. By now it was after 10 p.m., and dad was in need of a big Coke and a bunch of Percocet.
The next day me and kids went over to make sure everyone was doing okay, and to fetch medicine and food etc. so the invalids could stay on the couch as much as possible. After a couple hours, my dad wanted to hobble over to where they had towed poor "Jack" to get their stuff out before they sent him to the salvage yard.
Poor Jack was pretty banged up:
Yi-Ikes:
That is one messed up car.
It has been a few weeks now, and it turns out that my mommy did crack some of her ribs, and still does have a huge bruise on her leg. She is still feeling banged up, and my dad still has a big patch of gauze on his leg, but they are doing much better than they were. Hopefully soon they will be all back to normal, but I am so thankful that things weren't any worse than they were.
Everybody be careful out there!



No comments:
Post a Comment