Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Boston Trip Part 3 - Tourist Time

Okay, so where was I...oh yes...the morning after!  After I woke up and felt bad about going slow, I got up and stretched out a little.  I was a little sore, but really not much more than I after a regular long run.  I was pretty messed up after my first marathon, so that was a pleasant surprise.  I could even go down stairs like a regular person!    

Since I was feeling fine, we headed out to do the sight-seeing!  Ironically, the temperatures were about 20-25 degrees colder than they had been the previous day.  It would have been perfect running weather, but a little cold for anything else.  Oh well, at least I got to wear my jacket!

The city was still all decked out for marathon weekend.  Cheese!
After a little wandering around, we headed out on a sightseeing cruise to the Harbor Islands.  It was really interesting!  We mostly were inside because it was freeeezing, but after a while all the kids in the cabin started getting bored...and loud...and so we decided since they were not our kids we didn't have to listen!  We went up top for a while.  Notice...we are like the only ones on deck.  It looks sunny, but it was cold!
We saw a couple of lighthouses, and learned all about several islands.  One beautiful island is actually made mostly of garbage (old landfill) and another the inspiration for the horror movie, "Shutter Island." Several islands were used as quarantine sites, or prisons.  Lots of haunted stuff out in the harbor...who knew?  Now we are headed back into the city:
 Nice view:
After the cruise, we headed over to Quincy market for lunch.  I indulged in some lobster mac and cheese.  It.  Was. Excellent!
So, if you are in Boston looking to be touristy, this is the first thing to do:
 The Freedom Trail!  Let's walk.  I like how the old buildings and the new are all mixed together.
 And who doesn't love a creepy old graveyard with "deaths heads" on the gravestones.  I do!  Maybe only in the daytime though.
We walked ourselves around and I was kind of searching for a Boston Marathon Christmas ornament.  I collect Christmas ornaments when I travel, but we were having a hard time finding one.  I thought we could maybe find one at Adidas Runbase, but no luck.  Here is a unicorn though!
 And while we were in the area, and made Preston walk me to the intersection of Boylston and Hereford, so I could get this picture (right on Hereford, Left on Boylston!)
 And finally, we made the stop that Preston had been wanting to make for a couple of days...we got some cannolis from Mike's.  I got the chocolate covered one, and it was amazing!
 We headed back to the hotel around dinnertime, and decided to just get some takeout from the Afghan restaurant down the street.  We got some Kabuli Palaw, and it was really really good!

The next day we had to go home, but first we wanted to walk the part of the Freedom Trail we hadn't done yet.  As we were checking out and stowing our luggage, I saw my running buddy, Laura, again. She had gone slow also, so that made me feel a little better.  As we headed out, I was glad it was sunny, but it was even colder.  Preston still wore his shorts though, because he is crazy.
We headed over to the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides), but unfortunately, she was in dry dock!  No tours!  Boooo!  We still liked the museum there.
We climbed Breed's Hill to see the Bunker Hill Monument.  There are so many adorable houses in that neighborhood, it would be fun to live in one....you know, if you had a couple million dollars to spend.
 We walked through the Old North Church and back through little Italy and over to Paul Revere's house:

 A tour of the inside cost money, so we contented ourselves with some peeks through the windows.  Then we had lunch in an old tavern.
 Preston found a very important historical site...the Parker House hotel...apparently this is where Boston Cream Pie was invented, one of the most important events in history.
Then we wandered around the parks a little.  I was kind of missing the kids, they would have liked to go on the swan boats.
We walked up through the city and across the Harvard Bridge.  The MIT sailing team was out practicing, and the wind had really kicked up, and it was really cold!  We picked up our luggage, took our last T ride to the airport and flew home.

I watched a few movies on the airplane, which was nice.  I watched "The Lion" and part of "La La Land," both so good.  Then we were home (thanks for picking us up, Dad!), and the kids were asleep.  Dax and Cora had cleaned up their rooms so I could go and kiss them while they slept.  Arden hadn't bothered, but I snuck in there anyway.  It was a fun trip!

2 comments:

Diane said...

Some things look familiar. I'm glad you got to have this experience.

Ryan and Amber said...

I'm still so impressed! A bunch of girls from my hood ran it and all of them said it was SO hot and humid and was a challenge especially considering the training weather leading up to the race. SO you were in good company of runners who got a massive shock to the system! :)