With baby Brenna/Bryony/Colby/Cora/whatever on the way soon, we needed to do some reshuffling around the house. We had kind of been stashing the kids' toys in the "extra" bedroom with plans to turn it into a playroom. However, that room is no longer "extra" and so we decided we would have to move the playroom somewhere else. Since Preston works from home sometimes in our basement, it wasn't really feasible to have it down there (the kids aren't quiet enough for conference calls to take place within 100 meters). So, we decided to move the playroom into what we had been using as our piano room. The good news is that there wasn't really anything in there except our piano, and we didn't use that room very much. The bad news is that it is right off of our "home teacher room" (you know...the room in front of your house that you always keep clean in case people come over) and there is only a big archway separating the two rooms...no doors. Oh well. So, if you come over to my house and right away notice that it looks like a hurricane hit the playroom, please use your imaginations and pretend there is a door.
I have talked in a prior post about how our house has always pretty much been painted boring white with boringer whiter white trim. Over the past few years we have painted Arden's room, Daxton's room, and the master bath, so I was feeling a little bit better. But, I decided since this was going to be the playroom, I was going to really PAINT IT COLORS! I think I may have gone a little overboard. Anyway, after a lot of painting and a couple of trips to IKEA, the room is done! Here are some before and after shots of the room:
I have talked in a prior post about how our house has always pretty much been painted boring white with boringer whiter white trim. Over the past few years we have painted Arden's room, Daxton's room, and the master bath, so I was feeling a little bit better. But, I decided since this was going to be the playroom, I was going to really PAINT IT COLORS! I think I may have gone a little overboard. Anyway, after a lot of painting and a couple of trips to IKEA, the room is done! Here are some before and after shots of the room:
Before:

After:
Before:
And here are some "after" shots without befores:
So...what do you think? Did I overdo it a little? Are my kids going to get brain damage from too much color? Oh well, they seem to really like it so far, and we don't have time to fix it anyway! Next we are going to paint the baby's room. (stay tuned to see what I do to that).
18 comments:
Don't you just love Ikea?! Your room looks fabulous. What a fun playroom! It looks so organized!
--Jamie T.
I think it looks amazing! Do you want to come help me paint my house? Or at least help me choose the colors.
Wow, for the girl who lived without color for years, you've overcome. I like it though. Did you already have some of the accessories, table and chairs, and/or storage bins? It seems to all work together. I can totally see my kids wanting to play in there - fun, fun.
It looks good. What did you do with the piano?
I also had an idea for a name that you might like.
How does Darby sound?
Cute. It looks like you took a trip to Ikea.. fun fun fun. I love the colors.
I love it! You did a great job..... I'm sure the kids will have a BLAST playing in it.
wowsa! that is bright!! super cute! (but i love everything you do!!) I bet they LOVE it!! I cant wait to see the babys room!
We already had the tables and chairs, the kitchen, and all of the toys, but the shelves with the bins are new (THANKS IKEA). We also got the wall shelves and the picture frames on them(THANKS IKEA AGAIN!...shelves were like $19 and 8.5 x 11 frames only $1.99! Woo-hoo!) I had never been to Ikea before this month, but we found stuff we liked for not too much $$$, which is EXACTLY what we needed.
Very Cute and no you did over do it!!!
That is amazing! You did a great job Chrystie. I love all the color and I may have to steal some of your ideas when we get a permanent playroom set up. Our toys are currently in our "extra" bedroom too.
Looks like a fun room...I may need to come down and play in it!
So cute! I love the color combinations. No, they will not go crazy with all the colors -- instead it will boost their imaginations and creative tendencies. What color are you going to paint the "door"?
Love the colors! You are so crafty!
thats so cute your kids are going to have lots and lots of fun in there.
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!! All the bright colors and toys. I think it is GREAT! You guys do good work.
Maybe just a little crazy ... It looks like a kid's dream playroom, nice work!
WOW!! You picked great colors!! I'm jealous!! I want to come over and play in it!! Isn't IKEA the best place ever for organization? I wish we had room for a playroom. We need to get the basement finished before that happens for me!! You are doing a great job with the house, I can't wait to see the baby's room!
I love IKEA!!! Looks great! If you're worried about "separating" the two rooms you could hang a curtain up over the archway to "hide" the toys.
Post a Comment