Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Ups and Downs

We have been having our ups and downs around here lately. Most of the time I can remember how lucky I am to be me. I have two adorable kids (and one on the way), a great husband, wonderful friends and family, plenty to eat and a nice house to live in. But sometimes I really let the little things get me down. For example...it is snowing right now and those pretty little fluffy white flakes are just annoying me to no end.

Last week was sooo beautiful and we were approaching 70 degrees. I wore flip flops for the first time this year. We took the kids to the park Friday and had so much fun. Daxton did his first real park swinging, and LOVED IT:

Of course, Arden wants her picture taken too:


Arden always wants to try the monkey bars and things that are for older kids. I humored her and held on to her legs while she tried to cross the rings. Then Daxton wanted to do it too:

I tried to go down the slide with Daxton because he didn't like to go alone. My feet were practically on the ground while I was still sitting at the top...which really helped me win the "race" Dax and I had with Arden. Here is the photo finish:

I was feeling all happy and springy. And then WHAM! Spring is over and it is winter again. What about summer and fall??
I am also a little annoyed tonight because Preston and I spent the evening cleaning our house...not my favorite activity. But we have to do it because tomorrow our adoption case worker is coming over to look at our house and make sure that it is a safe and suitable place for children to live in. (Last time we did this little exercise before we adopted Daxton, we ended up with a $6,000+ fence.) Of course I know why they have to do it, but sometimes it irks me just a little bit that we have to do all this, because no one comes to check the houses of people who have babies the "old fashioned way" to make sure they are suitable! Maybe they should start :)
.
Anyway, enough whining.
.
Arden went to one of her friends' birthday parties this week, it was a princess party. She has been wearing her princess dress every day since. She is soooooo cute:

However, when she is not wearing her princess dress this week, she suddenly has the urge to run around shirtless. She takes off her shirt and yells "I NAKED!" (even though she is only technically half-naked) and runs around the room laughing. The girl is shirtless every time I turn around. Sometimes she wears her shirts around her neck as a scarves. I ask her why she isn't wearing her shirt, and all I can get is an "I just wanna be naked!" Hmmmm...hopefully it is just a phase and not an indicator that she is going to grow up to be a nudist.

Dax is growing up too. He is now officially mobile and crawling all over the place. He learned a new word a few days ago goo...."uh-oh." He has heard me say it when he dropped his sippy cup or cracker or something while he was in his high chair. Then, one day he dropped his sippy cup on purpose and looked down at it and said "Uh! Uh! Uh!" I wasn't sure what he was doing until after a day or two of just "Uh! Uh!"s, he dropped some food on the floor and yelled "Uh! Uh! Uh-OOOOH!" I was surprised, so I smiled at him and said "Good job, Dax!"...but that totally backfired. For the last few days he has been throwing EVERYTHING he can get his hands on on the ground and yelling "Uh-OHHHH!" and then looking up at me expecting me to be proud of him. I guess I should have been a little more specific when I told him he did a good job. Now that the damage is done, I am having a hard time communicating to the boy that I want him to EAT the food, not just throw it on the ground so he can show off his new word. It doesn't help that his little face is soooo cute when he says the "uh-oh"s that it is hard for me not to smile.

Wish us luck tomorrow!

9 comments:

Tiffany said...

Your kids are both so cute. I just love seeing pictures of Dax's smile! I agree with you about all the inspection stuff adoptive parents have to do, it just doesn't seem fair. Good luck tomorrow! I'm sure it will go just fine, you guys are great parents.

Jessica O. said...

I had the same feeling when I saw the snow. I'm trying to have a good attitude about the weather but I just want spring. Good Luck with the visit. For what it's worth I think your home it totally suitable and your new baby is so lucky!

Cheri said...

GOOD LUCK!! I know the home studies are crazy. You get all worked up and everything seems to go smooth. Love the pictures at the park.

Leslie said...

I can totally relate about the weather and darn it I want Mother Nature to decide already if spring is here to stay or just glimpse of it. As always your kiddies are cute and so are the photos!

Jess said...

I have told Brandon that they would never let us "have kids" if we had to do you guys do. I think its crazy. Will you love them...? YES Will you keep them safe...? YES Will you do your very best and pray its enough...? YES! I think they should just be greatful that you are willing to take this kids and give them such a wonderful life. You and Preston are good parents. Your kids are happy and safe.
And you know how I feel about snow. Lets just leave it at that!

Ryan and Amber said...

If it continues to snow I'm going to "pull an Arden" and just throw on my Princess dress and go to party. Kids are brilliant! :)

Diane said...

So, how did your social services visit go? I can't think of anything they would want you to do that you haven't already done (fence included). Did Arden keep her shirt on thru the whole thing? Did Dax dazzzle them with his toothy grin?f Love y'all.

Kirstin Schmidt said...

Well, I hope everything went well with your visit and you don't have to build a new house or anything!! I too am depressed about this crappy weather!! As for Arden being an nudist, I think it is a phase they go through. Especially girls!! My nieces would go NAKED all the time!! Good Luck with that one! Isaac started telling them that they can't play with them unless they a dressed!! What a relief!

Chrystie said...

The visit went great! Our case worker this time around seemed to be a lot less uptight about a lot of stuff than our last one was. Our last caseworker was worried because we had a pack of paper towels with the plastic cover on it on the bottom of our pantry (which has a door). She made us move them to the top shelf. :) Stuff like that. No such weirdness this time.