Thursday, May 7, 2009

Seriously sleep deprived but lovin' it

My brain does not function on less than 6 hours of sleep. The longer the days go on, the more problems I have. Preston says I am "sleep-depraved." Here are just a few examples (because I can't remember any more) of the problems my brain is having lately because of the ongoing and cumulative sleep deprivation.

  • I swept up the floor up after breakfast today and swept all of the dirt, food, etc. into a little pile. On the way to get the dustpan I got distracted and completely lost my train of thought. I left the pile of dirt sitting there all morning and didn't remember anything about it until I stepped on it around lunchtime.
  • Two nights ago I turned on some lullaby music when I was giving Cora one of her middle-of-the-night bottles. I was listening to the music and just resting my eyes for a second while feeding her. I woke up who-knows-how-much later. The music was over and Cora was fast asleep with the bottle in her neck. Oops.
  • On more than one occasion I have dialed a number on the phone and then while waiting for an answer I forgot completely who I was calling and why I was calling them.
  • Today I went downstairs to get the fax machine so I could fax a report I had proofed to my boss. I walked down the stairs and went over to the printer, which we also keep in the basement. I stared at the printer for about 20 seconds wondering why nothing was printing. Then I stood there for 10 more seconds before I realized that nothing was printing because I hadn't printed anything, I just came down for the fax machine. Duh.
  • I cry for no reason. Or for any reason. Either one. Earlier today Arden was wanted to watch Tarzan during breakfast. We were only about 5 minutes into it when I started to cry (now really...it is SAD when the baby gorilla gets eaten by the panther! And then his mom is walking along so slowly and sadly behind the other gorillas...*sniff* *sniff* Ok, I better stop thinking about it now or I will start crying again)!
  • And, last but not least I am juuuust a little bit grouchy. Well, maybe more than a little bit. maybe a lot.
But, it is all worth it, I have three of the cutest kids ever. EVER. So, I will deal with the sleep deprivation/depravity and hang in there as best I can. I apologize AND apologize in advance for any forgetfulness, grouchiness, etc. that already has or that may land on you in the next few weeks!

Here is Cora, we took her to the park for the first time today:



Doesn't Dax look so grown up? He loves to play ball!


And, here is Arden. Please notice the "church shoes" she had to wear to the park, and also notice they are on the wrong feet. She HAS to choose her own shoes and put them on herself. She doesn't care if they are backwards, she just wants to do it herself! Still adorable though!

10 comments:

Jessica O. said...

My brain quit working after the first child. I sometimes wonder if I have early dementia. Oh well it is all worth it. Cora is so cute.

Holly said...

I wish I could tell you that your memory will come back once you get adjusted to three, but that hasn't been the case for me - yet... I'm still hopeful though.

Get some rest!

Lori said...

Welcome to my world for the past 8 years...it is fun! I thought it would get better once the baby was sleeping through the night...oh, wait, I have 3 other kids that on any given night one of them has to wake up for some reason. I honestly don't think I have slept soundly the whole night through since I was pregnant with Kohl. The memory loss is the hardest to deal with...I just hope I get it back in the afterworld.

Diane said...

I used to be smart! I could remember where every little shoe or toy was left, people's names, what was on sale where, and trivia facts. But I gradually lost it all somewhere along the line. Five kids invarious stages of growing up. Same five kids in various stages of being sick or not. Pets who had to go out to wee wee in the middle of the night. Now I just blame it on getting OLD. Hopefully you will retain your IQ longer than I did. But was it worth it? YES!!!!!!! And I agree with Lori about the afterworld thing.

Cheri said...

I don't know if it ever comes back. My brain is so far gone ask Rob. Owell I just blame it on ADD. I can never focus anymore because I forget what Im doing. You're doing a great job..

Tiffanie said...

I am glad to see you aren't being deprived of the hormonal ups and downs of new babies. I guess you adopted them too! Troy is set on having 3 kids...I am gradually getting used to the idea. Who needs 4?

Ryan and Amber said...

SO hilarious - I've never met anyone that cried during Tarzan. I will now check that off of my "amazing and interesting" list! :) You're on it!

Kate said...

Hey Chrystie,
We watched Tarzan the other day and the beginning made me cry too! The Phil Collins music doesn't help! I'm with you on that one!

Chrystie said...

Thanks Katelin!!! That actually makes me feel a lot better!!

Kirstin Schmidt said...

I'm so sorry for your memory loss. It is a travesty, when it goes. It will come back a little when you get some sleep but not by much. I put steaks in the pantry after having a child. We all do it! You are normal. At least you swept up. I think I still have cereal on the floor from this morning! Hang in there, your kids are beautiful and you are doing a GREAT job!