Monday, June 15, 2009

Feeling lucky about the Corbietoe


As some of you know, Cora was born with an extra wide big toe on her right foot. It looks like she almost grew two big toes, but they didn't quite separate. The medical term is "bifid," but we call it her "Corbietoe." I actually think it is kind of cute, but obviously it will be hard for her to wear shoes and we were worried it could cause her problems when she is learning to walk. So, we finally had an appointment today with a pediatric orthopedic surgeon at Primary Childrens to see what we need to do to fix it.
The visit didn't take very long...except for the part after they took us to one of the little examination rooms to wait for the doctor. There was nothing in there to read except an old Cat in the Hat book and a Seventeen Magazine ("learn 50 new ways to flirt!" didn't seem to apply to me), and Cora and I were in there alone for almost half an hour. Bo-ring. I started to wonder...is there a time limit that you should wait in one of those little rooms before you can come out and make sure that someone remembers you are in there? And if so, what is it? 15 minutes? Half an hour? More? Are you just supposed to wait in there forever? I hate those little rooms, they are so small and claustrophobic. I would much rather wait in the big waiting room where I can see other people and not be worried that they evacuated the building and forgot to tell me. Anyway....
.
The doctor said that it will be a pretty simple outpatient procedure to remove the extra bit of toe, but it is best to wait until she is 9-12 months old. In the meantime, it shouldn't cause her any trouble. So, the Corbietoe will be around for a few more months. I was so glad that it wasn't going to be a big problem to have it corrected and that it wasn't going to cause her any permanent trouble (the doctor said she can still get a track scholarship!).
.
On our way out of Primary Childrens, we walked by several families with children who obviously had much more serious conditions than just a Corbietoe. As we walked close by one family, the mom looked up at us as we went by and I noticed that she was crying. It broke my heart. I couldn't help but realize how lucky I was to be walking out of that hospital with my beautiful, healthy little baby and driving home to my other two beautiful, healthy kids (thanks for watching them Cheri!!). I am so thankful to be so blessed, and hopefully I can remember more often how lucky I am.
.
Corbie turned two months old on Sunday, so we took some lamb pictures...it is amazing to see how much she has grown in such a short time!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad her toe will be ok. She is such a cutie. --Emily

Jessica O. said...

I'm glad her toe is o.k. It is always hard to see sick little kids in the hospital it does make you feel gratitude. On the subject of waiting, I think anything past 15 minutes is to long but I never have the guts to do anything about it. I've waited over an 1 hour at the obgyn.

Shauna Hardy said...

I didn't even know about her toe. Parker had to wait until he was about the same age to have his mole on his face removed. We used a surgeon at Primary's too. They take good care of you but it is still a bit scary. She is getting so big and cute!

Kirstin Schmidt said...

Who is your doctor? Isaac sees Dr. Stotts up there from his club foot. I too am so grateful for my children everytime I go up there I think, my child has minimal problems that are fixable. She will be ready for a pedicure in no time!!

Leslie said...

I'm glad that her toe is something then can fix and not have a lasting affect on her. And you are right, you have been truly blessed with healthy and beautiful children.

Roy said...

One of my old roommates has a thumb that looks like a big toe.

It looks as though his thumb has been replaced by a big toe. It's pretty cool.

Brandice said...

Her toe is cute and I love the lamb pictures. I understand about being stuck in the waiting room. We were there before Drew had to have surgery when he was a baby, and it seems so inconsiderate when you're already nervous. He had a surgeon at Primary also, and yes, we were glad to be walking out with a healthy child. Justine has a cousin there right now who is 3 years old and has a brain tumor. He has been there since November. We are lucky our kids' problems are minor. I'm glad her toe will be okay.