Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hey Baby, Come to the Zoo Often?

Last Saturday Preston and I decided to neglect our yard work (again) and take the kids to the zoo. The weather was perfect and we had a great time looking at the baby elephant, watching the giraffes and riding the carousel. All of that good zoo stuff.

However, my favorite moment of the day came courtesy of Daxton. We decided to watch the elephant trainer show and headed over to get a seat about ten minutes before the show started. We all sat down and I handed out snacks and water to help the kids pass the time. We were on the second row, and sitting in front of us were a cute young girl and her boyfriend. Daxton wasted NO time in making his move.

Some quick background: Dax is becoming quite the ladies man. He likes older women. I am not talking 3-year-olds, or even 4 or 5-year olds. I am talking older WOMEN. For example, we were at the park last week and there were a couple of high school girls sitting at one of the picnic tables. Daxton was making a lap of the playground, and as soon as he saw them he made a beeline straight for them. I was busy pushing Corbie on the swing so I couldn't hear what he was saying to the girls, but he had them laughing and he was smiling a HUGE smile. He chatted them up for about 5 minutes before his need for his sippy cup finally pulled him away. Another time we were at the park with some friends and Daxton preferred sharing a bag of chips with my cute friend Brandi to sliding down the slide or playing on the swings.

Anyway, back to the zoo. He plopped himself down on the bench next to the pretty girl, gave her a big smile and a very smooth "HI DERE!!!!." She smiled back and said hello. Daxton then offered her some of his fruit roll-up, which for some reason she refused. Unfazed, he pointed out the elephants to her and told her about the monkeys he had seen, slowly moving closer to her as their conversation went on.

Then he went for it.

By now the show had started, and Dax heard the trainer say that when the elephants aren't listening, the trainers give them a "time-out." Dax is VERY familiar with time-outs, and thought that was hilarious. He laughed and yelled "EFFANT TIME-OUT! EFFANT TIME-OUT!" while waving his arm around, and then he let his little hand come to rest RIGHT ON THIS POOR UNSUSPECTING GIRL'S THIGH.

I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe and my eyes were watering. Arden was asking me, "Mom, why are you crying?" and I couldn't even answer her. Preston decided maybe Dax was moving too fast for this girl and tried to pick him up and move him back to our bench. Daxton was NOT having it. He screamed and squirmed, and his new best friend told me that he was fine, so he sat back down right next to her. It took him about five seconds to pull the "Where were we before we were so rudely interrupted?" move and put his hand back on her leg. And kept it there through the whole show.

Atta boy.

This time I pulled myself together enough to get out the camera and caught him in the act:
When the show was over, Dax smiled and said "Byyyyee!" to his girlie friend. She was a great sport and said her heart was breaking that she had to leave. After she was gone, Preston looked down at Dax and said, "So, did you get her number?" To which Dax replied "One, Two, Free, Fo-wuh, Five, Six, Sewen, Eight, Naan, Ten, Weven, Telve!" I think he may have gotten it wrong, but wouldn't surprise me if she did give up the digits.

My boy got GAME.

Here are some of the pictures from the more routine looking-at-the-animals part of our day:
Watch out, ladies! Dax is on the prowl.

9 comments:

Holly said...

Your title is SO appropriate! And I love that you captured that moment on film - so fun!

Emily said...

I am falling out of my chair laughing at Dax. I am not believing he did all of that. That picture just made it that much funnier! I think you have a little ladies man on your hands. :)

Kati said...

Ha ha...that's funny!! Way to go Dax!!

Val said...

Hahaha! What a little charmer. Just wait 'til that boy starts school and discovers kissing tag.

Brindy said...

That is hilarious!!! Wow, I wouldn't know what to do with that. :) Good thing I have girls. hehe What a cutie, what a great picture!

Brandice said...

And here I thought I was special - getting a handful of the potato chips - when really I'm just a page in Dax's little black book. :)

What a little mover! He is so cute! No wonder the zoo girl fell in love with him so easily -- he has got it goin' ON!

Leslie said...

On my goodness, what a HOOT!!! Watch out Ladies because Daxton is on the prowl !

Diane said...

Chrys, you have me laughing 'til my eyes water and I can't keep reading. I love your description of Dax's friendly encounter. He's not bashful like my kids were(are?). Love you, too.

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhhh Myyyyyyyyy Goooooooooodnessssss... I was laughing SOOOO hard reading that post! Thank you so much Chrystie. Also, I like you room! Area rugs!