Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Real Job

Since Arden was a baby I have been working "part-time" for the company I worked at before I became a mom. "Part-time" used to mean around 20 hours a week, but it seems that the hours I work are getting so small lately that it should have another name like "teeny little-time" or "almost no-time." Most days of the week I am struggling to fit in an hour or two of work during that wonderful part of afternoon known as nap time.

On Tuesdays I get to do a little imitation of my former, pre-mommy self and head into the office for the morning. I put on my "work clothes," get into a car that doesn't have three car seats and take a nice, peaceful drive down the freeway. Then I spend a few hours talking with adults or sitting alone in my office working with no distractions. It is kind of a nice break from my every day reality. But sometimes it is still hard.

This morning Dax was the only one awake before I left. As I got myself ready, he kept saying things like, "Mom, please don't go away!" or "Mom, I want come with you!" I reminded him that I would be back before naptime to sing him a lullaby. He gave me such a sweet little hug goodbye that it tugged on my heart a little to leave him walk out the door. I knew he was going to be fine with Preston and my sister Val (who my kids like more than me) watching over him, but it was still hard for me to leave this little guy, even just for a few hours.

Work was pretty quiet this morning, and I found myself counting down the hours until I could get back to my "real job." My part-time job is fine, and I am glad to have it. But my REAL job title is "Mom." At my real job, pay is horrible. The hours are brutal, and there is no such thing as time off. The tasks seem neverending. But the benefits....they are unbelievable! What other job could offer such perks? Here are just a few small examples:

I get to watch my beautiful Arden twirl around in whatever fancy dress she changes into during the course of the day:

Arden has a soccer game today, and I am so excited to go and and cheer for her as she runs around in her cute pink uniform!

I get to see Corbie and Dax working together to build a tower of blocks:


And then laughing hysterically as all of their hard work falls to the floor:


I get to watch these three beautiful people learn and grow a little every day. They have taught me so much and brought me so much happiness. I love my job!! I am one lucky girl.

4 comments:

The Zaugg family said...

its true, mom is the hardest job there is. but it is so so worth it!!!! kids are awesome!

Diane said...

We all live and learn. Enjoy the journey!

Ryan and Amber said...

You are such a good mom and to do even a teeny tiny job on top of the "real job" is so impressive.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.