Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Naps are Totally Underappreciated

Naps. 

Oh, how I love them.  I LOVE it when the kids take them.  And there are days when I long to take a nap myself.  I remember the days before we had kids when I would take a nap pretty much every Sunday after church, and it was soooo very nice.  Naps are amazing.  Naps are fabulous.  I know that, and you know that.  So how come the people who actually have access to regular naps do not appreciate them in the least?  *Sigh*

Arden NEVER takes a nap.  Like ever.  Which means neither do I.  Dax takes naps maybe half the time.  And now Cora is starting to miss quite a few.  "WHY?!??" I ask them.  They have no real answer.  "I don't want to" is what I usually get.  I have tried and tried to explain to them the sheer awesomeness of taking a nap, but they aren't buying it.  "Someday, " I tell them, "you will WISH you could have a nap every afternoon."  Someday they will.  And I will hopefully be there to say "I-told-you-so."

Cora, instead of taking a nap the other day, decided to see how many shirts she could put on at once.


The answer is:  FIVE. 

In other randomness...'tis the season for art projects.  Now that the days are short and cold, we are coloring and painting and play-dohing our brains out.  I decided to spruce up the playroom with some of the kids' latest masterpieces.  Ta-dah:

Preston has started a "Biggest Loser" competition at his work (which is kind funny because he canNOT stand to watch that show. Truth be told, I can only watch that show if I am working out...and I have to hit the skip button every time someone gets on the scale.  Seriously, can't those guys afford a scale that doesn't make an annoying beeping sound for 2 solid minutes before it tells them how much they weigh?  I know it is there to build the drama, but it is just plain annoying.  Rant over.  Anyhoo...).  Preston had his second weigh-in today and he is down 11 pounds in two weeks.  Eleven.  Pounds.  WOW!  He has been trying super hard, and I am really proud of him.  Keep it up, babe! 

Have I mentioned how much my boy Dax loves Kung Fu Panda?  He loves it like crazy.  He says things to me like, "When I grow up to be Kung Fu Panda I wiw fight da bad guys wike dis!" and then he kicks the air and punches the wall while making Kung Fu noises.  Today when he was changing into his jammies, Dax had to take each piece of his clothes one at a time, wad them up in his hands, turn around in a few circles and then yell "Ska-DOOSH!" as he threw them towards his laundry hamper.  If he missed, he had to try again.  It was hilarious (but it took FOREVER.).  Then when I was giving him his good night kiss, he said, "Mom, just one wast wast two, three, four, six kisses!"  Okay, you talked me into it.

Speaking of my big little guy, he is a sunbeam now at church, and apparently he is doing great.  I have had quite a few people tell me how good he is during sharing time.  Attaboy, Dax!  He has really grown up a lot over these last few months, and has made great progress is controlling his inappropriate tackling impulses.  If he would have had to be a sunbeam right after he turned 3 like some kids, I am pretty sure there would have been a few sharing time tackles.  (Not that I am saying there will NEVER be a sharing time tackle, but hey, it is mid-way through January and there hasn't been one yet, so I am calling it a success.)  Cora is still in nursery.  I asked her the first week if she missed Dax.  She looked at me and said, "No."  Okay, then. 

I hear someone upstairs running around, so I better go and drag whoever-it-is back to their beds.  Ah, the joys.   


3 comments:

Holly said...

Oh how I love naptime! And talking about random I love your new couch in your living room, I want to do something bold too.

The Zaugg family said...

I must say I love naps too! I would love it if I could take a nap daily. and good job preston!

Allie said...

yay preston!! 11 pounds is awesome!! Thomas won the biggest loser compt he (and sadly, I) was doing! Hope he continues to do well!