Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Feeling Oldie..

It is no secret that I am a compulsive radio-station flipper in the car.  My standard driving hand position since I started driving at age 16 has been (sorry, Driver's Ed teacher, it is not 10-and-2) one hand on the steering wheel and one hand on the radio.  Lucky for me, in our new car, I can change the radio station using buttons ON the steering wheel.  Brilliant!  One of my many radio pre-sets is the local "Oldies" station.  I have always liked "Oldies," you know, the Beatles, the Beach Boys, all that good stuff. 

Today, driving home from work, I flipped to the Oldies station and they were playing "Lucky Star" by Madonna. 
What the what? 

I have distinct memories of being on the school bus around first grade and watching a 6th grade girl who went to my church and her friend rocking out to this very song in the seat across the aisle from me and just thinking how amazingly cool they were.  One of them was even wearing sunglasses, to prove their total awesomeness.  ("Star-Light...Starbright!  First Star I see To-Night!  Star-Light!  Starbright!  Make everything all right!")  Yes, I remember when this song was played on the radio. 

The first time.

Does that mean I am officially an "Oldie?" 

Maybe I should delete that station from my presets....

2 comments:

Kati said...

I hear ya...I felt old when I heard an ad for Stadium of Fire and they were talking about the Beach Boys and how they haven't played Stadium of Fire for over 20 years....what? It wasn't that long ago when we were fighting over binoculars to see John Stamos play the drums, was it? CrAzY!!

Ryan and Amber said...

Ha ha ha. Madonnas daughter will soon be the new it girl and then I will be completely deflated. Lol