Grandpa Zaugg
Elwood C. Zaugg, 74, died Saturday, November 3, 2012, at his home, surrounded by
his loving family. Elwood was born June 6, 1938, in Ogden, Utah, the son of
Lewis Charles and Reva Williams Zaugg. Elwood graduated from Weber High School,
Weber College, Brigham Young University, and Utah State
University.
Elwood married Myrtle Kay Andersen, August 12, 1964, in the Logan LDS Temple.
Elwood was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and served in the High Council, Bishop, Stake Presidency, Stake Patriarch and Councilor in the New Delhi India Mission Presidency. He served a mission as a young man in the Central Atlantic States. After retirement, he and his wife Kay served an LDS Humanitarian Mission in Shanghai, China and a mission in New Delhi, India.
Elwood was employed by Southern Pacific Railroad as an Engine man for seven years. After graduating from BYU, he taught one year at Granite High School and eight years at Roy High School. He was later employed as a professor at Salt Lake Community College. He served there as Division Chair, Dean of the School of Technology and Executive Dean, with responsibility for four campuses.
He enjoyed boating, gardening, camping, and travel.
Today was Grandpa Zaugg's funeral. It was a hard day, but it was fun to hear some new stories about this good man and see family that we haven't seen in a while. Even though we have known this day was coming for a while now, it is never easy to say goodbye to someone so special. Elwood Zaugg was a kind, hardworking person and I feel very lucky to have had him as my father-in-law. He was a wonderful example to us all and an amazing grandpa to my kids.
He loved to have fun with his many grandkids (and even great-grandkids). One of my favorite memories was when Grandpa would help out Santa at Christmastime. Here is "Grandpa Claus" with Arden a few years ago:
Another favorite memory was from a couple of years ago when we dragged Grandpa and Grandma to Disneyland with us. I am so glad we made that trip! It was so fun.I am sure Grandpa was glad he made the trip too, even though he might not have felt like it all the time we were there. This is how he and Grandma waited for the "Muppets in 3-D" show after a couple of days of Disneyland:
Grandpa was such a good sport. Things could get a little crazy when twenty-something grandkids are running around, but he never seemed to mind, and was up for just about anything. Every Halloween my kids remember wrapping him and Grandma up like mummies using toilet paper at our Halloween parties:
I remember when Preston and I were first married, he bought some waverunners so that the family would have another excuse to spend time together. I loved going to the lake and playing on the waverunners. I remember Grandpa Zaugg smiling as he puttered around the lake, fully dressed! I wish I would have taken some pictures of that.
What I will remember most of all was how much he loved his family.
In fact, the last words I heard him say in this life was him telling my kids that he loved them. I hope so much that Arden, Dax and Cora will be able to remember their Grandpa Zaugg and the good man that he was. We are really going to miss him!

3 comments:
So sorry for your loss,especially Preston's. Sounds like there are MANY good memories of an amazing man to sustain you and many traditions for your cute kids to remember him by.
Wowsers, Preston looks so much like his Dad! Wonderful tribute Chrystie, he sounds like an amazing Grandpa and Father.
Sorry to hear about Preston's dad... Wow I am sure he will be missed. What a cool post... I love that he put family first. You have a neat family.
Post a Comment