I think we have found a solution to our storage problem...so here goes:
THANKSGIVING! It seems so long ago now, but it was only a little over a week ago. We got to have Thanksgiving TWICE this year.
First, we had Thanksgiving dinner with the Zaugg family the Sunday before Thanksgiving Day at Preston's brother's house. There was turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls, and pie....and a pinewood derby race!
You heard me.
Preston's brother has his very own pinewood derby racing track in his basement. I am still not clear on the reasons behind this, but it is fun, so whatever! And so it was decided that the First Annual Zaugg Family Thanksgiving Pinewood Derby would be held. Preston helped each of our kids put a car together the week before the race. Daxton's car looked like a skateboard, and Preston helped Dax attach a dinosaur to the top so it looked like the dinosaur was riding a skateboard. Unfortunately, once we tried Dax's car on the official track, the dinosaur was too tall to fit under the timing gate at the end of the track. We had to rearrange the dinosaur so he was laying down on the board, so it looked more like a sled than a skateboard. Dax and Preston were still happy so it was all good. Cora's car was purple with LOTS of bug stickers on it (I don't know why she chose the bug stickers since she is not really fond of bugs, but again, Whatever!). Arden's car was orange with flames on the side...and a giant screw taped to the top so it was heavy enough (Whatever!). All of the cars did surprisingly well and Cora yelled "I won! I won!" after every heat -- even though she was usually second or third. Arden's car was actually the most successful and she won nearly every heat. She pretty much tied for first place with her cousin Ben. It was a super fun night! I have no idea why I didn't take any pictures! Duh!
Thanksgiving - Round 2 came on Thanksgiving Day. We headed over to my parents' house for dinner. We only had to bring the sweet potatoes and a couple of pies (Lemon Truffle and Raspberry Cream Cheese, yum!), so it wasn't too much work for us. All of the in-state siblings were there, and the kids argued in the car about who got to sit by Val. Preston helpfully reminded me that I should bring my camera this time. Soon after we arrived the turkey was carved, the potatoes were mashed and all was ready. Can you guess who was the most excited to get down to bidness and start eating?
This was the first year we got to eat in the "East Wing," which is a new addition to my parent's house. It was nice to be able to all fit at the table together for Thanksgiving. We didn't even have to miss any football, we just paused the game and then we had "skippy time" so that we didn't have to watch commercials. I love modern technology!
After we all stuffed ourselves with turkey with cranberry chutney, stuffing, potatoes and gravy, rolls, jello, sweet potatoes, etc. etc., most of us dragged ourselves over to the couch to watch the game in a post-feast semi-coma.
My kids don't understand the need to hold still after stuffing your face with WAY too much food, but lucky for me, Matt, Grandpa and mostly Grandma did an awesome job of keeping the kids occupied playing tag outside and doing art projects for most of the day.
This left me blissfully able to relax on the couch and watch an entire football game. This is something that does not happen very often (read: NEVER) at my house since my kids have not yet discovered the awesomeness of football. Whenever I try to watch a game I get a steady stream of whining about how My Little Pony or Team Umizoomi is MUCH more interesting than any old football game. So, for me, sitting on the couch with a full tummy and watching a football game while eating the occasional piece of pie in relative peace is pretty much HEAVEN ON EARTH. Plus, the Cowboys lost which made it even better.
Dax, of course, enjoyed some pie as well:
I only wish Thanksgiving could come 3 times a year!
I have so much to be thankful for! I have been truly blessed. I have a wonderful, hard working husband, three beautiful children, a healthy body, kind friends, a warm house, delicious food to eat, I could go on and on and on and on. I am glad to have this time of year to spend time with family and reflect on what a charmed life I truly lead. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! Bring on Christmas!
2 comments:
When we were in cub scouts and derby time came around, the committee was talking about how much it would be to rent a track. Nate declared that he could build one for less than a rental fee. So after getting Brandon to help and calling in some favors we now have a track.
Glad the kids had fun!
Hey Clever Computer Gal -
What is your sneaky solution? I swear I'm just gonna pay.
Now - TWO Thanksgivings with kiddos entertained?
HOW, pray tell, does one work such magic?
Post a Comment