Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Life is a Circus


We went to the circus last Saturday night! It was lots of fun, but I especially enjoyed just watching Arden more than anything. She was just fascinated the whole time. She waved her little arms and danced around on Preston's lap when the performers were dancing. She would clap after each act and say "More?" She also kept asking for the "Ewefanns!" and those were her favorite part. Here is a picture of them for you:

Preston liked the part where they had 7 motorcycles all going around inside a small metal ball at once (I thought for sure someone was going to die...sorry no pictures). I liked the acrobatic parts best. Daxton thought it was too loud and pretty much retreated into sleep as soon as it started. Good thing he was free.

Preston and I agreed that the funniest part of the circus was when they had a guy who climbed up to the "ceiling" (where they had all of their lights and stuff hanging...not the actual celing of the Energy Solutions Arena...but still pretty high up, at least 50 or 60 feet) and then turned upside down and "walked" along the ceiling by putting his feet a little rope loops they had strung out in a line for him. He was holding himself up using only the tops of his feet. That wasn't the funny part. The funny part is that while he was doing all of this, they had helpfully put a little tumbling mat on the ground far below him to "save" him if he fell. This mat must have been all of 2 inches thick. I am sorry, but what is the point? If that guy was going to fall, the little mat they had below him wasn't going to do anything except maybe keep a little bit of the mess he made when he hit from getting on the floor itself. I am soo glad he didn't fall! (I wonder if I could have got my money back?)

I hadn't been to the circus for years and years, and it is funny how your perspective changes as you get old. I remember when I was little how I used to beg and plead with my dad every time we went to the circus to buy me one of those silly flashlight things. I could never understand why he wouldn't get me one. I think he actually did break down once and buy some for us (thanks Dad!!) When I took Arden to the bathroom during intermission, she kept asking me to buy her one. No way was I going to spend $20 for a glorified flashlight!! :) What a mean mom I am. Anyway, here are the happy circus goers:


There was one part of the circus when they had 4 acts going on at once. They had an aerealist spinning around on a wheel in the air, a gymnast doing handstands on a ladder which got higher and higher, a couple of strong guys holding each other up with one finger and stuff like that, and a couple of contortionists doing things that made me say "ew." I remember thinking that it was silly to have them all go at once because I didn't know which one to pay attention to at what time. I guess that is like my life! Always too much to do, never sure which thing to pay attention to first. :)

On another note, Daxton went in for his 4-month old well-baby checkup yesterday. He is growing like crazy, and now weighs 17 pounds, 7 ounces (he is in the 87th percentile for weight) and he is 26 inches long (he is in the 84th percentile for height). He is doing really great and only cried a little for his immunization shots (I HATE those things). He is such a happy little guy, he has the cutest little giggle. We are going to start him on the solid foods this week, I can't believe he is so grown up already!!

7 comments:

Amanda said...

It looks like it was fun!

Julie Keddington said...

We went on Saturday, too. The kids loved it. I loved watching them. But, I thought it was a bit too long. Two and a half hours! It was fun, but I had quite a headache when I came out. We all agreed with Preston and thought the motorcycles were really amazing.

Ryan & Holly Willard said...

Sounds like a blast! I'm sad that we didn't go this year. I love the analogy of not knowing what to watch, that's totally my life.

Kirstin Schmidt said...

How fun!! I will have to give in to Isaac's pleading and go next year when Dallin is a little older!! You are brave to take Dax with you guys. I don't ever enjoy anything when I'm constantly taking care of baby!

Jessica O. said...

Looks like fun. We haven't been for a few years. We bought the flashlight sword things at the rodeo. They broke withing 24 hours- good call on saving the money!

Shauna Hardy said...

How fun! I wish we had taken Parker to the circus. Daxton is getting so big! We need to do lunch one day!

Leslie said...

The Circus is an awesome place to go with kids. I agree with with your title, "Life is a Circus" because it's so true!