Monday, December 22, 2008

Later on, we'll perspire as we dream by the fire...

Someone sent me a link to a funny article that talks about how people have misunderstood the lyrics to Christmas songs and it made me laugh because for years and years I thought that the words to Winter Wonderland really were "later on, we'll perspire as we as we dream by the fire." I thought maybe it was really warm by the fire!

Some of the other ones they listed that I thought were funny were:

"Get dressed ye married gentlemen" (God rest ye merry gentlemen)
"Joy to the World! The Lord has gum!" (Joy to the World, the Lord is come!)
"Fleas naughty dog" (Feliz Navidad)"
"Oh what fun it is to sing a slaying song to knives!" (oh what fun it is to sing a sleighing song tonight!)
"Where treetops glisten, and children listen to hear slave elves in the snow" (where treetops glisten and children listen to hear sleigh bells in the snow)
"Frosty the Snowman is a ferret elf I say" (Frosty the Snowman is a fairy tale they say)

Did anyone else ever sing the wrong words to a Christmas song?

4 comments:

Leslie said...

That's so FUNNY! Thanks for sharing and I will definitely check out the link.

P.S. I also thought the same about "Later on, we'll perspire as we dream by the fire.."too funny

Amanda said...

I love it! I do that for songs still, not just Christmas ones.

Oh, we got your Christmas card last night! Thanks!

Jessica O. said...

I do that with all songs. Wade has to correct me all the time. I'm always singing the wrong lyrics.

Julie Keddington said...

Out of the blue, Sam asked me the other day what a whore was. I was shocked and said...a whore? He replied, "Yes...and what is a sofen?...A one whore sofen sleigh?" Thank goodness I asked some questions before I answered. I quickly explained that the song said, "One horse open sleigh". Yikes!