Thursday, February 19, 2009

Twiblings!

I will start at the beginning. A few weeks ago, Arden's birthmom (who is awesome and amazing and wonderful) left me a message to call her. I thought maybe she wanted to get together for Arden's birthday coming up, but it turns out there was a little more to it than that. Last summer, she had a whirlwind romance and got married and also became pregnant. Unfortunately, they have decided to get a divorce. The baby is due at the beginning of May and she had decided to place the baby for adoption. She was calling to let us know and to see if we wanted to have the chance to adopt the baby. My first thought (after how sad I was for her) was "wow, it is too bad this is such bad timing. Oh well." I told her I would talk to Preston and we would think about it and let her know, but really I was thinking it was completely impossible.

Preston was on his way out of town (of course) so I quickly phoned him and caught him right before he got on his plane and quickly told him the story. He thought about it for the 5 or so hour flight to Philadelphia and then called me back. I had already moved on to trying to think if there was anyone I knew who was ready to adopt, but Preston said he thought that WE could adopt the baby. What!?!? No way. He was crazy! Anyway, after a LOT of thinking and a LOT of praying and a LOT of struggling (at least on my part), we decided that we would say yes. The birth father seems to be on board with the decision to place the baby for adoption, so....


It looks like WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A NEW BABY GIRL!! If she goes to her due date (which is questionable since Arden was 3 weeks early), Daxton will be 11 months old when our new baby girl is born. I have decided I am going to call them the "Twiblings."

I know this is the right decision, but I am feeling a little (okay, a LOT) overwhelmed. Especially right now, because today was not an easy day...both Arden and Daxton were a grouchier than usual and by bedtime I was DONE. But it is an AMAZING opportunity for us to have this little girl in our family, and I know I would have regretted it forever if I let that opportunity pass me by. I know that it is going to be hard to have three such little kids, especially since Daxton probably won't even be walking by the time the new baby is born. Simple things like going to the grocery store during the day are going to be difficult, if not impossible for a while, and I am going to be sleep deprived beyond belief. But, I know that it will all be worth it to have this sweet little girl in our family. I am really excited for Arden to have a little sister, and I am hoping that since all three of them will be so close in age that they will be good friends. I can hardly believe that soon I will be the mommy of three when not so long ago I wondered if I would ever get the chance to be a mom at all! I am so grateful to Arden's birthmom for giving us this opportunity (both of them!!) Also, today we found a car seat narrow enough that we can fit all three babies in the back of our SUV, so at least we don't have to buy a new car! Woo-hoo!

I am sorry to those of you who are finding this out via blog, but my mind has seriously been having trouble processing this whole situation, so please forgive me for not telling all of you in person!

19 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness, now that comment you made on facebook makes sense now. I'm so happy for you!!! CONGRATS!!! How truly blessed your family is to welcome another beautiful child of god into your home. I know it's overwhelming but the Lord will help you and you have family and friends that will step in. Again, I'm so happy for you!!!

Cheri said...

Chrystie, I am so happy for you. Im getting all teary-eyed just thinking about all the great blessings you have received. You know we are all there for you and will do what ever we can to help out. I can't believe it!!! I think that's why Daxton is such a good baby.. You had another soon on the way.

Brandice said...

That is great news! You're right -- that's pretty close in age, but after a few years you will look back and laugh at how crazy that time was, and you will be glad that they are so close and such good friends. Who cares about a little sleep deprivation when there are so many blessings associated with a new baby? Of course I can say that since my baby is 10, and it will be a blur for a while, but you will make it through. The Lord never gives us more than we can handle, right? I'm so happy for you and Preston. And how lucky for Arden to have a sister with the same mom. I'm so glad she (the mom) came to you first. Congratulations!

Kate said...

Crystie, just reading that post gave me the chills! Congrats! How exciting!

Troy said...

That made my day... Congrats....Three is a great number....

Amanda said...

We are really excited too! Let me know when Preston goes out of town and we can come help more. Matt loves running around with Arden.

Lori said...

We are all very excited for you guys. If you can make it though the first 6 months it will be smooth sailing after that:). You have a lot of eager helpers by you and you will find that you are stronger than you think. You are right about the grocery store...just don't even attempt to go alone with all three...impossible! They are going to be great friends and in the end it is so worth it.

Kirstin Schmidt said...

Congratulations Chrystie!! You will do great!! You are an amazing MOM!! I am so happy for your little family!! I know that you will be overwhelmed at time but it is all worth it in the end! Know that you have friends and neighbors around that are happy to help! I am so glad that Arden and Dax are getting a sissy! You made the right decision because, You would have beat yourself up if you didn't say yes! Hooray for the family of 5!!!

Tiffany said...

I'm so excited for you guys! And I was serious about helping out. Even if you just need to leave some behind so you can go to the store and not lose your sanity!

Thayne6 said...

The Lord works in mysterious ways...you will be blessed! Congratulations!
--Jamie T.

Chris W. said...

Congrats! That is so exciting for your family! My brother and his wife had "Irish twins" 11 months apart and they are now (at 4 and 5) best friends so don't worry - it will all be worth it. =)

By the way, what type of skinny car seat did you find? We were looking for one.

Ryan & Holly Willard said...

I am so excited for you, you give me HOPE! I know it will be overwhelming but you are underestimating your abilities as a mom, you are amazing! Let me know anytime you need some extra hands, even in the middle of the night- I would love it!

Julie Keddington said...

Chrystie, sleep is definitely overated! (Right?) And, don't worry about not being able to go to the grocery store during the day. My kids are two to three years apart, but I NEVER take all of them to the grocery store anyway! I just wait until Saturday or I often make grocery trips at 9:30 p.m. I'm excited for you! I'll help you out, I promise.

Unknown said...

CHRYSTIE! That's awesome! Especially after how sad I was after reading your blog about listening to that song and how fast they grow up... I'm so happy for you! I'm also happy because Arden is sooo cute and AMAZING and her little sister is going to be AMAZING too! Dang, I'll be there in April but it would be fun to help out.. the newbie won't be here yet. CONGRATS! That's gonna be hard.. you only have two arms.. hahahaha! Even just walking them around.. but that is soo cool!

Diane said...

Count us in with all your helpers. Love ya!

Our3Boys said...

Congrats Chrystie and Preston!!! That will be awesome for Arden to have a bio sister (at least partly) and you will be so happy that you did it!!!! Three is awesome. A lot of work, but definetely worth it!

Ryan and Amber said...

CONGRATS! That is so exciting and couldn't happen to a better little family! So exciting!

Jessica O. said...

Congratulations!!! I've been out of town and haven't blogged or been to church. I'm so happy for you guys. My sisters both adopted and had kids really close together. You can do it and it's not that fun to go our with two kids to the store so just don't go. Arden will be in pre-school and she can play with Daniel.

Brindy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! (I know I'm a little late on this comment -- I've been out of the loop for a while!) That is so exciting about the new little one that will be joining your family. I'm very happy for you guys! :) Who knew you would have a house full of little kiddos in a 3 years time? Congratulations again!