Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mommy Essentials

I have a friend who is going to be a new mommy soon, and she was asking me what things that I thought were essential for every mom to have. It got me thinking about what things I have really got the most use out of (other than the obvious bottles and diapers), and here are some of my "Mommy Essentials:"



The SwaddleMe from Kiddopotamus: This was seriously the key to getting Dax to sleep through the night. He could NOT sleep without being wrapped up in this thing, and Corbie loves it too. I am not the best blanket wrapper, so the kids would squirm free in no time, but the Velcro on this keeps everything snug and tight. We have nicknamed this "the tortilla."




A high-quality diaper bag you actually like. (see my previous posts). I say go big for your diaper bag. You are going to be using it every day for at least 2 years, and maybe more if your kids overlap, so you might as well get something you love. I personally prefer the ones that just look like big purses but that are still diaper bags (with tons of big pockets inside and outside to keep everything from becoming too big of a mess...at least at first). If your diaper bag is girlie, obviously your husband needs his own, and there are some very "manly" (read: non-purse-looking) bags out there, this is the one Preston has, it is from Diaper Dude.


Baby carrier. Arden practically lived in the Baby Bjorn. She LOVED it. Dax wasn't as much of a fan. Corbie LOVES being in the sling, but isn't a fan of the Bjorn yet. I use these all the time, it is sooo great to be able to "hold" your baby and still be able to use both hands. I'll admit, I probably carry my kids around too much, and this is an enabler for me :) I can even pick up Dax and carry him around on my hip while Cora is in the sling. (Arden took the picture of me...see her cute little thumb? And below is a close-up of Corbie hanging out in the sling.)




















Diaper Genie II. Two words. Not stinky.












A good, light stroller. The stroller we liked best when we had only one baby was a McClaren Quest Mod. Very light, but very sturdy (we still use it) and fits any baby from 3 months to who knows when (Arden still fits, but doesn't like to ride in strollers for very long). Folds and unfolds easily, works for tall people, and sooooo easy to maneuver.



A TiVo/DVR. Seriously. If you want to actually "watch" TV, it is going to have to happen after bedtime. We hardly ever watch anything live. Plus, commercials are boring.


Does anybody else have any favorites? If so, please share in the comments. We are all looking for something else to make our lives a little easier!

7 comments:

Jessica O. said...

Very informative. I never had the "tortilla" but I'm thinking maybe I should have. Wade is the wrapper in our family. I totally agree with you on the diaper bag go big and have it look like a purse or just use a really big purse. I love this post.

Brindy said...

Those are all great Essentials -- some I don't even have! I've never seen the "Tortilla", but that sounds like a great invention, Sophie loves to be wrapped up.

Cheri said...

All a baby really needs is a nice wardrobe..JK. I love all these great ideas.. I agree with a good stroller... love it.. thanks

Tiffany said...

Good list! I like to have 2 diaper bags; a large one for long trips like an afternoon at the park and a small one for short trips like a run to the grocery store. Really my small diaper bag is just a medium sized purse and my large one is a back pack.

For the nursing moms, I highly recomend some of the Gerber hot/cold gel packs. These saved me during those first few weeks of engorgement.

Another must is a blanket sleeper. My kids loved being wrapped up but hated having their arms pinned down. The sleepers were the perfect solution!

Leslie said...

Love your list and I never hear about the tortilla but I probably would have loved one! Thanks for sharing and I agree with your great Essentials!

Ryan and Amber said...

You are a fountain of knowledge, dear, Chrystie! Tortillas at Cafe Rio = WIN and apparently Tortillas of another variety = BIG WIN! :)

Brandice said...

I love your purses that are really a diaper bag, and I want one to carry around snacks for the movies, water bottles, wrappers, pens, notebooks, chapstick, hand sanitizer, lotion, swim goggles, flip flops, ball caps, napkins, granola bars, and a Webkinz or two. I am overwhelmed with the carrying of stuff, and my kids are not babies anymore. You think you only need the bags for a couple of years..... oh no. Plan on them hanging around for a long time. :)