Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Daxton's Adventures in the Womens Locker Room

We decided a while ago that we wanted to have all of our kids take swimming lessons this spring since we are taking them all to the beach for a vacation in a few weeks. We are hoping that they will be all used to the water and ready to swim all day. We luckily found a time when there was a class for Arden and a "mom (and dad) and me" class for babies happening simultaneously and signed ourselves up. We have been going for a couple of weeks and the kids are all doing GREAT! I was worried that Corbie wouldn't like it since the pool isn't as warm as the bathtub she is used to, but she has been amazing. She isn't afraid of the water at all, and Daxton is a champion leg kicker.
.
But the first week was a little bit of an....adventure. The classes went okay, except Daxton had just gotten over a bad virus and must have still been a little off because he was freezing by the time the lesson was half over. All he wanted to do was kick his feet and swim around the river...he didn't want to play "humpty dumpty sat on the wall," because the wall was cold. He let everyone in the class (let's face it...everyone in the pool or the 1 mile radius around the pool) know of his displeasure. Then, with about 15 minutes of class left to go Arden's teacher brings her to me because she really has to go to the bathroom NOW. She of course did NOT have to go when I asked her right before class started. So, I smiled, handed Dax over to Preston who was already holding Corbie and took Arden to the bathroom. Not a lot got accomplished by the babies while we were gone with only one arm each. Luckily by the time we got back class was almost over and they let us just play around so Daxton got his wish of swimming around the river and kicking his feet and was happy as a clam.

Whew! We made it through the class!

Now comes the hard part....
.
I have to figure out a way to get me, Arden AND Corbie dried off, showered off, and dressed. I wrap up the girls and head for the locker room. Somehow we make it through the showering and changing, and we are sitting by the lockets gathering up our stuff and putting our shoes and jackets on. Arden is sitting closest to the edge of the bench and is looking down towards the showers. She says to me, "I see Daxton." I say, "No, Dax is with Dad in the men's locker room. That must be some other little boy that looks like Dax." Arden says, "No, I see Daxton." I am struggling with Corbie's silly baby shoes and mumble something like, "Okay." A little bit later I heard some crying that sounds a little like Daxton's, but I didn't pay too much attention, figuring it was some other kid and concentrating on trying to zip up Arden's jacket for her. Finally we are ready!

We head out to meet Preston and Dax in the hallway. Preston does NOT look pleased. The reason why? Apparently, it WAS Daxton running through the women's locker room.
.
Preston got Dax dressed first, and then was getting himself changed when Dax made a break for it. Before Preston knew what was happening Dax had bolted from the changing room curtain and was headed out of the locker room. Preston quickly finished pulling on his pants and tried to chase Daxton down, but Dax had made it out of the men's locker room by now. Preston, shirtless, was following as fast as the slippery floor would allow, yelling desperately for Dax to stop. Daxton, however, had his goal in sight: that goal was the women's locker room where he had seen his mom and sisters go. Preston tried as hard as he could to catch Dax before he got through the door, but he was not fast enough. Dax successfully made it around the corner where Preston dared not follow.

Dilemma.
.
What to do?
.
While Preston was pondering this sticky question, he was luckily saved.

A nice woman had witnessed the unsuccessful chase scene and volunteered to retrieve Daxton from the forbidden realm of the ladies' lockers. Apparently once Daxton got inside, he wasn't quite sure which way to go and was kind of running in circles, and it was pretty easy for the kindhearted woman to capture him. Preston's savior carried the screaming Daxton back to a mortified and still half naked Preston who was waiting outside.

Needless to say, Preston was not too happy.
.
I thought it was HILARIOUS.
.
Unfortunately, there are no pictures to go along with this story, so here is one of my old favorites of Dax from simpler times when he was not mobile:

Can you believe this sweet little face could someday be capable of such mischief??

8 comments:

Ryan & Holly Willard said...

LOL. Swimming leasons are always an adventure with us. For Drew, we call them "screaming lessons" because he does not like being told what to do.

Julie Keddington said...

Funny story, Chrystie! I love hearing about your adventures.

Jessica O. said...

Very funny. Swimming lessons can be a chore. When Jack was little we did the mom & tot class with my sister who had two kids and it was always an adventure. Even if they don't learn to swim you are creating great memories!

Roy said...

It's a good thing Preston didn't go for it without his shirt on. It would make it harder to explain to the authorities.

Chris W. said...

I LOVED this story! Too funny! You are so brave to take the swimming lessons with all the kids. I bet they will have so much fun in lessons and on your trip!

Ryan and Amber said...

So the kid knows to run for the "LADIES" at a young age?! Ryan would take that as a great moment of pride! Just tell Preston that Daxton is learning at a young age to be quite the ladies man! :) So Cute!

Brandice said...

I love the stories -- they are a crack up. Can't say I miss the days when there were not enough hands to juggle everything, but you are right -- they make for great adventures. Good luck at the beach! Sounds fun!

Leslie said...

Oh my goodness!!! This is so darn FUNNY! Poor Preston!