Thursday, April 1, 2010

Firsts and Lasts

With three young kids, we go through a lot of firsts and a lot of lasts. Here are a few of the firsts and lasts we have seen go by in the last week or two:

Daxton's First Time Sleeping in a Toddler Bed. You may remember that when Arden was almost two years old, she climbed out of her crib and fell and broke her elbow. Now that Daxton is only a couple months short of turning two, Preston thought we better convert his crib into a toddler bed before history repeats itself. I remembered how hard it was to get Arden to stay in her bed at first, so I was dragging my feet a little. But Preston sneakily changed Dax's bed while I was gone one night last week and when I woke up in the morning and went to get Dax out of his crib, lo and behold he was in a toddler bed!

He has done a really good job at staying in the bed at night, but naptimes are a different story. The first time I tried to put him down for a nap in his toddler bed, I laid him down and then went to feed Corbie a bottle. I could hear him running around in his room while she was in the middle of the bottle, and knocking on his door to be let out of his room (luckily he hasn't figured out doorknobs yet). After Corbie finished her bottle and I laid her down, I went back to Dax's room to put him back in his bed. Here is what I found:



He was sound asleep on the floor. Maybe he thought it was too hard to climb back in bed? Maybe he just wanted to see what it was like to sleep on the floor? No idea. I didn't want him to wake up with carpet prints all over his face, so I carefully put his sweet little sleeping self back in his bed and he didn't wake up. I usually have to put him back in his bed a couple of times every day at naptime, but it really hasn't been too bad so far! Yay!

Corbie's First "Hairdo" (Such as it is). Corbie has more hair than Arden had at this age, but that isn't saying much. But now that Corbie refuses to keep headbands on her head, I started to look for other options to keep her looking girly. This is the only thing I could come up with given the amount of hair on her head:

If you look really closely, you can see a teeny tiny tuft of hair on the top of her head with a little elastic wrapped around it 72 times.

And finally,

Chrystie's Last Formula Purchase (Hopefully!) (sorry no picture). After our last trip to Costco, I think we have enough formula to last us through this last month before Corbie turns one and we can stop feeding her baby formula! Hooray! I hate to think how much money we have spent over the last four years on formula. I always dread going to Costco, because after I pick up three formula containers, BOOM there goes close to $100. I actually did a very discreet little happy dance as I put that last formula container in my cart last week. I am NOT going to miss those painful check-outs!

However, I know that I AM going to miss feeding Corbie bottles. I have been feeding at least one baby a few bottles a day for about two years, and I must admit that I am sad that this little part of my life will soon be over. I love to snuggle down in the rocking chair in Corbie's room and just hold her and feed her a bottle. **Sigh**

Firsts and Lasts are usually good, but sometimes they are hard! I haven't figured out a way to get them to stop coming, so we will just keep on having them and making the best of it!

Hopefully, the snow on the ground today is the LAST snow until next winter!

6 comments:

Tiffanie said...

I have started paying extra attention to the time I get to hold Aeva. She is almost 3 and will soon not want to be held anymore. I can't hardly think about my last kid not wanting to be held. That will be a hard one. At least that one is still a few years away for you. Love em while they're little.

Jessica O. said...

You will just move onto new first and lasts. Just wait until there are no diapers...that will be a seriously happy dance. Your little family is so cute. I agree with you and I hope this is the LAST snow of the season!

Charlotte said...

I love that Dax falls asleep on the floor--he is such a cutie. Corbie's hairdo got me all excited for all the possibilities with a girl. I hear you about firsts and lasts. Sometimes we know when it is a last and sometimes we don't. I guess it is good to just appreciate it all.

Ryan and Amber said...

Oh the day I buy that last tub o' Similac I am going to do the NOT so Discrete Happy Dance! YAY for you guys!

Chris W. said...

He's so cute all curled up on the floor! You must have great carpet. =)

The Taylor Family said...

I love the little tiny pony tail! She is so cute! That is a funny picture of Dax on the floor! Too cute!