Tuesday, March 2, 2010

I Have a Four Year Old?

Arden is four years old today. FOUR. Years. Old. It has been four years since the day she was born. I keep telling myself these things, but they still don't seem real. I don't have a four year old!! I have a little baby girl who looks like this:

But no, it has really been four whole years since the night she was born. I remember that night so well. It was three weeks before the due date, and I remember getting the phone call that Arden was going to be born that very night. It didn't seem real to me. As Preston and I drove to the hospital around 10:00 p.m., I remember feeling so excited and terrified and happy and worried all at the same time. I remember waiting all night in a freezing cold waiting room, watching Conan O'Brien and sitcom rerun after sitcom rerun. I kept getting cramps in my feet because it was so cold and because I was so nervous. I tried to sleep but got NOWHERE close. Preston snored on the ground. Finally around 4:30 a.m. the nurse came and got me and I followed her into the room where Arden was going to be born. I remember feeling like I was in a fuzzy dream. I remember one of the nurses pointing at a wrinkly purple thing and telling me, "there's her head." I thought the nurse must have been crazy because I didn't see anything that looked remotely like a head. But soon the wrinkly purple thing did turn out to be a head, and it was attached to a wrinkly purple baby! The baby quickly turned pink as she screamed a loud and beautiful scream.

Arden was 5 pounds and 13 ounces of heaven, born at 4:57 a.m. on March 2, 2006. After the nurses wrapped her up, they handed her to me. I looked into her eyes and tried to think of something profound to say, but I think I mumbled something like "Hi" instead. The next day we brought her home from the hospital. Even though we had a ton of baby stuff and I had read baby book after baby book, I remember that feeling of sitting on the couch and looking at this tiny little stranger and thinking: "I have no idea what I am doing!"

But, somehow, we made it through those first few sleepless days and nights and that teeny little peanut has turned into this:

I love this little girl so much. I am so thankful to be her mother. Before she came along I thought I knew a thing or two about love, about hard work, and about how much sleep I needed to function. I know now that I didn't know anything about any of that. Arden came along and completely changed my life, and I am grateful every day to have her. She has made me a better person. I feel so incredibly blessed that her birth mom chose us to be her family.

Happy Birthday, my sweet baby girl!

12 comments:

Holly said...

Happy, Happy Birthday Arden! She still looks so much like that little baby girl.

Val said...

It is hard to believe it's been 4 years already! From being the new and only baby to such a good big sister. Happy Birthday to Arden!

Leslie said...

HaPpy BiRtHdAy Arden! She's so beautiful! You have truly been BLESSED!

Brandice said...

She's so darling, just as much now as she was when she was a baby. I think there is no amount of preparation for when a baby enters your life. Even the second and third (and more) are totally different and you feel like you're learning things all over again! You're doing a great job Chrystie. All your kids are adorable and happy and healthy... the blessings will just keep coming. Hope she had a nice birthday! (march 2 is my grandpa's birthday too -- he would have been 100 yesterday!)

The Zaugg family said...

thats so sweet! she is adorable. you are a great mom and im so happy you have your sweet little arden and daxton and corbie.

Jessica O. said...

She is very cute! Daniel loves playing with her and I am glad they are friends. Her face looks exactly the same. Happy Birthday Arden!

Charlotte said...

Happy Birthday, Arden! She could not have asked for a better mom.

Ryan & Holly Willard said...

I can't believe it has been four years. I love Arden, she is really one of the most beautiful little girl that I know.

Allie said...

Happy Birthday Arden!! Where has the time gone?

Julie Keddington said...

I love Arden! She has always reminded me so much of Emma when she was little. It is sad to see them growing up so quickly! Chrystie, you are a great mom! You are doing a fantastic job with those three cute kids of yours. I wish Emma was still four! Enjoy this year!

Unknown said...

Chrystie, you are such a wonderful Mom and I could see how much you love her when we met up that time I visited in Utah. I love reading your blog because it is so fun seeing what you are doing with your family and how you feel about your kids.. You are a wonderful mother and I love it!

Kirstin Schmidt said...

Congrats! Chrystie you have made it 4 years as a great Mom! Now you have 14 more to go and then some. You are truly blessed to have such adorable kids and you are amazing at what you do!