Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A Boy and His Belt

I came home from work today, thinking how hot it felt in the lower 90s today.  I walked through the door, and saw my handsome boy...


...in long pants and wearing a polo shirt, tucked in. Why was he so dressed up on a random summer day, with no where in particular to go?  Let me explain:

A month or two ago, the kiddies and I were at The Children's Place, trying to find the boy some new church shoes for his ever-expanding feet.  I saw that the belts were also on sale, and asked Dax if he wanted a belt to wear to church.  He had never really had one before, I guess, and he was pretty excited about the whole idea.  I remember thinking that he was unexpectedly excited about something as mundane as a belt, but I really didn't think too much about it, and we headed for the check-out counter.

As soon as we got out to the car, Dax dug through the shopping bag and found his belt.  He was wearing shorts that day, and they didn't have belt loops.  Dax was distraught, and as soon as we got home he changed into some jeans and proudly put on his belt.   When Preston got home, he ran to show his dad his new favorite accessory!  

The next morning, he wanted to wear (surprise!) his belt to kindergarten and tucked his T-shirt into his jeans "So that everyone can see my belt."  Ummmmm...whatever, I thought to myself.  It is new, I guess he can tuck in his t-shirt for one day. 

One day.  If I only knew....

As the days and weeks pass, Dax's love for his belt does not diminish.  He thinks it is the best thing EVER.  He wants to wear it Every. Single. Day.  Not many of his shorts have belt loops, so he wants to wear jeans AND, of course, tuck in his T-shirt. 

What just-turned-6-year-old boy wants to tuck in his shirt????  

I am by no means an expert on style, but I have run into some situations with my boy that even I know are just not right.  For example, he got a Star Wars shirt for his birthday, that has three light sabers on the front.  He, of course, adores anything related to Star Wars, and wants to wear this shirt with his beloved belt often.  TUCKED IN, obviously.  The only problem is that the light saber shirt is a little on the large side, and when he tucks it in far enough that is belt is clearly visible, you can only see the top half of the light sabers.  So, it just looks like he has three weird stripes on his shirt. 

On hot days when shorts are a necessity, my boy has also tried to wear his belt with his shorts that have no belt loops by just wrapping it around the outside of his t-shirt and pulling it tight.  I haven't taken a picture of this, unfortunately (for me, but not for him)...So picture a regular kid with cargo shorts and a t-shirt, but picture this same kid with a very tight belt on the outside of his t-shirt, making him look like, well something like this:  
Only much, manlier, of course.  

Can you believe that I am SUCH a mean mom that I made him take off his belt before we left the house?  Believe it!  I really am THAT MEAN.

The boy has even tried a similar trick with his PAJAMAS.  I kid you not.  He wants to wear the belt to bed.  Whaaaa?

I have had to increase our stock of polo shirts since I am still not comfortable with the whole tucked in t-shirt thing.  And that brings us to a whole 'nother issue since Dax wants to button his polo shirts ALL the way up to his chin.  We fight about this constantly.  

*sigh*

I never pictured myself having to beg my 6-year old to please, pleeeeease put on more casual clothes so we can go to the park.  I am sure (hoping) that it is just a phase, and soon he will be back to the standard little boy shorts-and-t-shirt wardrobe.  

Or maybe he will grow up to be an executive who gets to wear a suit (with a BELT) every single day and be happy.  Or maybe...


007 always needed a belt, right?  

2 comments:

Ryan and Amber said...

Bwa ha ha ha ha! I love it. I remember that Kaelster was addicted to his "deer hunting" pants. It WAS a phase but it seemed to last FOREVER. I washed those camo pants every single night because if I didn't, all hell would break lose in the morning. Sigh. Boys are strange creatures. Cute. But strange.

Diane said...

Back in the olden days of your childhood, I sewed Dan a shirt for some occasion. It was autumn colors, and I bought a pair of brown jeans to go with it. He would NOT wear them to school. "Mom, if I don't wear blue, no one will know it's me!" Honest. Boys. It's been going on for a while. Ha Ha.