Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Bathroom Redo

I have lived in my house for many, many years now.  I had still never got around to doing much of anything to our half bathroom.   I don't know why, since it is the bathroom that people who come over generally use.  You would think I would want it to look nice.  But I just never got around to it somehow.

A few weeks ago I was in there doing some spring cleaning, and noticed that the blond maple cabinets in that bathroom were in sorry, sorry shape.  (Much like the cabinets in the other bathrooms).  I decided to get brave and try my hand at DIY cabinet refinishing.   Aaaand while I am in there, I might as well repaint the walls, put up some shelves, blah blah.  Right?  After some Pinteresting (is that a verb?), I decided to try to stain the cabinets a nice, dark java color, and paint the walls grey.

I almost forgot to take the "before" picture!  I had already removed the cabinet doors, but you can get an idea.  Off-white walls and a lame little shelf, with a picture drawn by Arden were pretty much the only adornments:

Before:
 After!
Here is a close-up of the cabinets.  I used General Finishes Java Gel Stain, and I love it.  I have already ordered more to do the cabinets in MY bathroom.  It is nice and dark and rich, but you can still see the wood grain.  And oh so shiny!

Looks soooo much better if I do say so myself.  And I do.

Another before picture:

After:
 Just another picture.  I got those little mirrors from Target and painted them yellow.
Before:
After:

 (I just put these pictures together myself, but I am not in love with them, so I am on the lookout for something better.  And yes, unfortunately, those reminders are occasionally needed around here.)

Phew!  All for only about $100 (I only used a half-pint of gel stain, a half gallon of paint with tons left over...got cheapo unfinished frames and java'd them too.  Repainted an old shelf, etc.  I did get new mirrors and new towels.)  On to the next project I guess.

Actually, Arden has already called it that her room is next to get re-done, and has already decided she wants to paint the walls pink.

I'll get around to it eventually.

1 comment:

Diane said...

It's almost too pretty to use as a bathroom!