This week I finally decided to paint something. When we moved into our house, we painted all of the walls two-tone white and more boring whiter white. I figured that I would soon paint the rooms different, exciting, beautiful colors. That was five years ago or more. We did paint Arden's room before she was born, but the rest of our house is still white with boring whiter white trim. So, I decided to start trying this paint thing out on my bathroom, since if it turns out looking horrible, hardly anyone (except me and Preston) will see it.
I chose a oceany-blue color and Preston and I painted one night. It looked pretty good, but it needed some touch-ups, so yesterday while Arden was taking her nap Preston found the old white paint for me and I tried to cover up some of the oopses we made. The bathroom was looking pretty good, and I was getting all excited to go and get some shelves to put up on the wall.
Later that night, I put Arden to sleep. I waited outside her door until I was pretty sure she was asleep, then ran off to the basement to run on the treadmill while Preston listened to the monitor for Arden. While I was running, the phone rang and woke Arden up. Preston laid her back down, and was happily typing on his computer when he heard her coming down the stairs. She is getting pretty sneaky and can open the door of her room pretty quietly. He looked over and said "Arden, you're supposed to be in-OOOH NOOOO!" Arden's hands and arms were covered in white paint up to her elbows. She had paint on her clothes, and paint dripping from her hair. Preston yelled for me to come upstairs and get Arden while he hurried to start the clean-up.
I grabbed Arden and walked up the stairs, afraid of what I would find. There were little paint drops all down the stairs and the hallway, leading to the bigger mess was in the bathroom. There was paint on the tile floor, paint on the bathroom rug, paint on the shower, paint on the toilet and paint on the cabinets. Arden helpfully told me she was "Hepping paint!" I threw my little helper into the tub and washed her off first, then put her back in bed while Preston started on the carpets. I think we got the paint mostly out of the carpet, and the cabinets came clean too. The shower and toilet took some time, but they are ok now. The tile and the bathroom rug are another story. I think the rug is a total loss, and after much much scraping, the tiles themselves look pretty good, but the grout (it was dark brown) is now more of a zebra-stripe thing :). We didn't take a picture of Arden with paint on her, we were in too much of a hurry to try and stop the paint from getting in her eyes, but Preston took a picture of the bathroom floor. However, he left today on another business trip and I can't find the cable to get the picture from the camera and onto my computer, so you will all just have to visualize. :)
Anyway, if anyone has any good ideas about how to get white paint off of dark brown grout, please let me know.
If you don't have any good ideas about grout leave me a comment anyway, I love to get comments. Love love love. Even if you don't have anything to say, just type in "hi!" so I know that someone is out there reading this stuff.
17 comments:
Chrystie
I dont know how you do it. I would have had to tell people when my kids funeral was after a story like that. I am dying laughing (you will....one day if not already!) you need a door alarm on Ardens room LOL(kidding of course...or not....humm...)would paint thinner work? yeah, good luck with that! I cant wait to see the finished paint job!
You have so much more patience than me. Even picturing it in my head gets me frazzled.
Sorry, I have no cleaning tips for you, just sympathy. Good luck!
Oh no!!! That is the most sad, depressing, and hysterical thing ever. I should be laughing, it's going to happen to me one day. :) I can't believe how mischievous she is! Ellie hasn't even learned out to open doors...Thank Goodness. I wish I had an easy solution for the grout. Or maybe you could just give her a brown crayon, she could fix it for you. haha
I know what you mean about painting rooms. At least you painted Arden's room before she was born...I'm still trying to find ideas. :) Good luck with getting everything back to the way it was.
I'm so sorry! On the bright side (for me) Ben finding my nail polish doesn't seem as bad anymore. I don't know what would get paint out of grout. Try searching online, that's how I found nail polish removal solutions.
My first thought is that grout is much more durable than paint.
I would try acetone or mineral spirits. It depends on what kind of paint it is.
Here's a web site that I found that describes what you can use:
http://www.techlib.com/reference/paint.html
Chrystie,
I'm so so SORRY! It's kinda of funny but not really. I think you guys handle it great because I know I would have lost my top.
As for Adren's room have you thought buying one of those knob protector and placing it on the inside of her room. She won't be able to open the door. I know that's sad but we done it with Mya.
She's like Arden and she would roam the house if she can open her door.
Our biggest concern that while we were sleeping at night she would wander around downstairs and could hurt herself or let herself out of the house! So, hence why we have a knob protector.
As for the grout, I just don't know. If you find a solution pass the information.
Okay I am so sorry to admit but I was cracking up! You are so much more patient than me! Cant wait to see the pictures! Hey I am tagging you! PLEASE come to my blog to see what it is all about! Thanks Becca
Sad, but I can just picture the cute little girl all covered in paint and telling you that she was helping. Such a good little helper!
Oh my heck! I can just picture her now. What a little stinker! But like she said, she was just helping. I'm sad that you didn't take pictures of her.
Been there, done that! Luckily ours was on the hardwood floor and made for an easier cleanup than carpet. Have you tried a magic eraser? I am in the midst of re-painting our bathroom as well and oddly enough it is going to be a blue...funny!
So, I have tried rubbing alcohol (didn't work), magic eraser (didn't work, just got ground up by the grout), and nail polish remover. Nail polish remover worked the best...it at least let the paint smear so now we have more uniform light-brown grout where we used to have dark brown/white stripes....I will keep trying.
Oh Chrystie! I had to laugh....even though I am so sorry she caused so much chaos for you! Yikes! I don't have any ides for you for the grout. Have you called a tile place to ask them if they have any ideas? Good luck!
Funny! Mostly because I can relate, Drew is always getting into things. Maybe we shouldn't get them together, imagine the damage they could cause (just kidding). I was going to suggest magic eraser sorry it's been unsuccessful. Can you do a thin layer of grout over the paint?
Good Grief!!! Hey I had Isaac bang two finger nail polishes together. Mind you bright orange for girls camp (our color was orange) together and they busted and splatted all over the carpet. Carpet color: Light Beige. It was a nightmare. I sympathize. I'm with what Leslie says. We did that with Isaac and he was good until he mastered hanging on the doornob and turning it. My sister turned the nobs around and just locks the door until she knows he's asleep and the unlocks it for safety purposes. Will Paint Thinner breakdown grout? Google it. Good luck!
Chrystie That is the funniest thing I have heard... My only suggestion would be call the painter... I am sure that he has some magic solution... Thats what I do when I make the mess... I hope that you find something that works... GOOD LUCK!
Sorry -- I'm way too late. I would have tried the corner of a safety razor to CAREFULLY scrape the thick paint off the grout. But smeared thin, proba0-blrte5 (oops, Harvi just walked across the keyboard), probably wouldn't work. The painted area may just wear off with time. I love you, and the way you and Preston handled the situation. She wasn't even traumatized when you were telling me about it later! Mom
Chrystie
Cute story. Dave the painter said
to try Krud Cutter if you can't find it give him a call. Everyone needs a little color in thier life.
Post a Comment