Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Random Stuff

This has been kind of a bummer week for me with all that has been going on in our neighborhood, but there have been a lot of cute (and not so cute) things that Arden and Daxton have been doing that I want to remember, so I am going to write them down here before I forget.

Arden is finally potty trained! HOORAY! It took a little longer than I hoped (none of that 3-day potty training around here), but she has finally figured it out. She is so funny, and makes me sit outside the door while she goes #2. I have to be right outside the door though, not down the hall or downstairs in the kitchen, just outside the door. We have been bribing her with Diet Sprite, and it seems to be working pretty good. Hopefully after another few days it will just be habit and she can stop using up Preston's supply of pop.

She hasn't been watching much TV lately since it has been summer, but when she does want to watch something while we are eating breakfast or whatever, it is always "Pocahontas." That is kind of a bummer for me since it isn't my favorite Disney show, but it came on TV once and I TiVo'd it for her, and she loved it. She doesn't watch much of it, she just does plays and colors and pretty much ignores the show except when they are singing. She loves to sing the "Colors of the Wind" song all day, but doesn't know very many words, so it ends up going like this "Siiing..all a voices....a mountaaaain...Paint a colors...a wiiiiind" repeated over and over. Also, the tune she uses has nothing to do with the tune in the actual song, and the tune itself changes each time she sings it. It is so cute though. Preston called last week while he was out of town and she was chatting away at him. She was telling him what we had been doing that day, and she said something like "play a toys...take a baff...sing a voices of a mountain." I laughed and laughed, but Preston had no idea what she was talking about until I told him. Such a funny girl.

We had a "Stake Fair" on Saturday. It was a lot of fun, even though I missed the greased pig chasing contest and seeing some of the Stake Presidency get dunked in the dunk tank. I was too busy talking with friends and watching Arden running around like crazy with some of her little friends and having a great time getting all dirty. Here are a couple of pictures of her (most of them were so blurry they were unusable because they were running so fast and my camera isn't the best).


Now for the not-so-good things. Arden, my sweet little baby girl, is becoming the nursery bully. Yup, she pushes kids down. She doesn't do it during play dates or anything, and I don't know if she does it in nursery because there are so many kids or because I am not there, or what. We have talked to her about it a lot, and every time I even say the word "nursery" now, she automatically waves her finger back and forth and says "No pushing!" However, the words don't seem to be getting through to her actual behavior. If anyone has any bright ideas about how to get her to stop, I would love to hear them. I am thinking of having the nursery leaders come and get me if she tries it again this week and try and put her in a "time out" in the hall or something??? Help?

Daxton is doing great. He is so low-maintenance compared to Arden (except in the middle of the night, of course) that he sometimes gets pushed to the back burner and stays in his bouncy chair for longer than I would like to leave him while I am dealing with Arden crisises (hopefully there will be less of these now that she is potty trained!). He is such a sweet boy though, and I feel so blessed to have him. He is a good little eater and is getting pretty close to chubby, especially compared to how skinny he was when he was born. I hope he will forgive me, but here is a picture of him taking a bath so you can all see his cute round tummy.
He is also (finally) starting to smile at me now! It just makes me feel so happy whenever I look down and see him smiling up at me!! I just melt. Unfortunately while I am melting I keep forgetting to grab the camera, but I will try to capture a smile sometime soon and post it for you so you can all melt too. He is awake a lot more during the day, and is really starting to talk a lot (he is good at vowels..."Oooooo," "Oooohhhhh," "AaaaaAAAhhh"). Sooo cute.

7 comments:

Shauna Hardy said...

Daxton is getting so big! Bath pictures are the best! I don't have any good advice about Nursery. How cute that she trys to sing the song from Pocahontas!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the potty training! Is she night trained too?

When I was in nursery we had several "bully" children. And it got to the point where we would put them in time out. I think if they come and get you that might only reinforce the behavior. Hit someone... see Mommy... Good luck!

Amanda said...

Sorry about your bad week, but thanks for keeping us updated on the cute stuff your kids do. Arden is adorable. I will have to have her sing to me sometime.

Jessica O. said...

We are still having our little potty accidents but I see the end in sight. I don't really have any advice about the bullying. Try time out or have some other tiny person push her back. I tell my boys that if they hit don't cry to me if you get hit back. She will grow out of it.

Kirstin Schmidt said...

Daxton's tummy is adorable!! They always have the budda belly for the first few months. Lucky you on Arden and the potty training!! That is awesome. No more double diaper duty!!! When you have some time we can talk about nursery. Isaac didn't go for months because of the bully's. It was extremely hard especially when it's your first child and they are not used to being beat up.

Chrystie said...

No, she still wears a pull-up at night, but she stays dry during her afternoon naps. Hopefully she will start staying dry through the night soon, but we are not there yet. But everything else is going great! No big accidents since last Saturday! Woo-hoo!

Julie Keddington said...

Emma was obsessed with Pocahontas, too, when she was Arden's age. I had forgotten all about it, but your stories made me remember. I seem to recall a Pocahantas CD as one of her potty chart rewards. She sang "Just Around the Riverbend" constantly. Her obsession took her all the way through Halloween...So, if you need a cute Pocahantas costume, we've got one you can borrow! If you do, have Preston beware...Emma made James grow a beard and dress up like John Smith!