To my daughter, Cora Briony:
I am so glad that we got to bring you home with us today. We have known you were coming for a while now and felt sure you were meant to be in our family, but it is so nice to actually have you here. In person. So soft and warm and sweet. Sleeping in your daddy's arms.
It was so amazing to be there when you were born. Your birth mother is one of the kindest people I know and she let me be there at the very moment when you took your first breath. It was a much quieter breath that I expected, I kept waiting for you to start crying like your big sister did when she was born. But you seemed to be very calm about coming into this big, bright, cold, strange place. You just looked around a little, and then once you were wrapped up in a blanket, you closed your eyes and went right back to sleep as if it is what you expected all along. It seems you have been sleeping ever since. I have been waiting all day for you to wake up for a while so that I can look into your pretty blue eyes and so you can start to get used to me too. But you seem satisfied to open your eyes for a minute or two to check on things and then close them again and drift back to sleep. I wonder if you are saving your active time for 3 a.m.
.
After watching you be born, it was hard for me to leave you there in the hospital, but I knew your birth mom was there taking care of you and that she needed some time with you before she could say goodbye. She loves you more than you will ever know. It was so very hard for her to let you go this morning. She did it because she believes that it is what is best for you, but I know that it ripped her heart out to do it. I know that my arms are full tonight because hers are empty, and I will be forever grateful to her for bringing so much of my family to me. Your birth father loves you too, and he wants you to be happy. I know he misses you and wishes he could be with you. If you open your eyes to check on things tonight and see some tears in mine, it is not because I am sad, because I am so happy. It is because I am thinking of them and how much they have sacrificed, and also hoping that they can find some peace tonight and in the days and weeks to come.

Your big sister Arden is so excited that you are finally here. She already loves you so much, and is so glad to have a little sister who can wear dresses and "pretties" in her hair, since we don't let her put those things on Dax. She is already three years old and has so much she wants to teach you. She wants to teach you how to walk, how to do somersaults, how to color. Maybe when you get older she will teach you how to ride a bike, how to put on makeup, how to drive. I know that there will be times when you will fight as sisters do. But hopefully you will get through those times and be good friends when you are all grown up like I am with my sisters, and that you will help each other when you have your own children. Sisters can be hard, but they can be your best friends too, and I hope that you and Arden will become best friends.

Your big brother Daxton probably looks huge to you since he is about 5 times bigger than you are. But really, he is still a baby too. He has only been here in the world for a little over 10 months himself. He smiled when he first saw you, and it melted my heart. But about 30 seconds later he tried to climb over the top of you so that he could pull your hat off and eat it, and it was then I realized that he doesn't know what it means to be "gentle" with anyone. Please be patient with him during these first few months, he is still trying to figure everything out like you are. Like we all are, I guess. I will try not to let him pull your arms off or steal your binkie too many times. I hope that you two "twiblings" will be great friends and playmates for each other. I always wanted a big brother growing up, and I know that when you are older Daxton will look out for you and keep you safe like big brothers do.

I am so excited to get to know you better when you finally decide to wake up. I am excited to watch to you grow and see if you look like your big sister or not. I am excited to see if your hair stays dark and curly or if it all falls out or turns blond. I am so excited to be able to take you to the temple in six months and have you sealed as part of our forever family. But right now I guess I should take advantage of the fact that you are sleeping and get some sleep of my own saved up while I can.
.
I love you, and I will try to be the best mom I can be for you.
.
Welcome home, little Corbie.
17 comments:
Chrystie that makes me cry. One day she will be so glad to be able to read the things you were thinking on this first day with her. What a sad and happy time for all of you, and how sweet of you to consider the birth parents' feelings. What a sacrifice. And what a miracle. I'm really happy for you and your family. Congratulations.
I'm glad you shared your thoughts. What a special day for your family. She is beautiful!
Dear Chrystie. Thank you for your sweet and tender feelings. i feel so far away at these special and most important times. I was at the apartment and very sick with "delhi belly". I answered the phone and dad told me our new granddaughter had been born. It was exciting news. I tried to hang up the phone and then fainted! Your photos are so cute, what a blessing and a joy little Cora will be to our family. Kiss the babies for us, we love you all so very much.
Mom
Chrystie and Preston, Congratulations! On your new baby girl. She is beautiful! She is a very lucky little girl to have parents like you. Chrystie, it just seems like you and Dan were born. You are a perfect mother! You can see it in your eyes and by the wonderful words you say. We love you.
Mark, Maree, Ian & Chelsee
What a sweet and loving tribute to your daughter!
Chrystie, Thank you for sharing this special letter to your daughter with all of us. I love you and your family.
Chrystie, nicely said. You definitely have a gift with words. You couldn't have put it more beautifully. Welcome to the world, little Cora. We are all so glad you are here.
You made me cry at work! Your kids are so lucky to have you.
We love to spend time with you, so let me know whenever you want us to come over.
Sniff, sniff, blubber, blubber. Love you guys.
What a beautiful letter, I think it should be published. I am so amazed by the birth parents love and sacrifice. Cora is so lucky to have you and Preston as parents. I keep thinking about holding her yesterday and how tiny and gorgeous she is. I'm serious call me ANYTIME!
That is the sweetest thing I've ever read. I know exactly why the "birth mom" picked ya'll. You and Preston are wonderful parents with a huge heart to give so much LOVE!
Cora will treasure that letter forever. Adoption is such an amazing thing. We are happy for you and Cora is lucky to be in your family.
Chrystie- your letter had my sister and I in tears. Having been involved with an adoption on the birth parent side with my sister, it was really nice to read your touching letter. You are an amazing mom and I so respect your willingness to give that baby girl an amazing life with 2 great siblings!!!
Wow, I can't imagine what it would be like to give up a child. Goes to show how much the birth mom loves you and her children. She knows what good parents Cora will be blessed with. Thanks for having us over before little Cora came. We had a blast and look forward to seeing the newest addition.
Seriously crocodile tears are fallin' That was beautiful! I so love the picture with the stuffed animal! So wonderful for you guys!
Congratulations! You are so insightful and an amazing mother and Preston is an awesome Dad. She is so beautiful and I know that Heavenly Father intended her for you. You are so kind and considerate to think of her birth parents at this time. This was a beautiful letter for Cora and I know she will treasure it always!!
Just like everyone else I cried reading your post. What a wonderful addition to your family. Arden and Daxton will both be great siblings and you are an awesome mother!
Post a Comment