Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I Hope These Fish Are Tough....

We have been back from our trip for a couple of weeks now, and I guess Preston was feeling sad that he didn't get to look at fish every day anymore. So, one day last week he came home from a what I thought was a routine trip to the store with two goldfish and related goldfish paraphernalia. Preston argued that they only cost 13 cents each. The kids were really excited about the fish, and love to stare at them. Corbie loved to point at them and say "ISHHHH!"
On the second morning of their stay with us, I let Arden feed them, making sure she only put in a small amount of food since our fish aren't very big and can't eat much. About an hour later, I was getting Corbie's shoes since it was my turn to carpool to preschool. Apparently Daxton thought the fish could use some more food, so he climbed up on a chair and gave them a second helping of breakfast....a BIG second helping:

Yeah, he emptied the ENTIRE container of food into the bowl. All of that brownish reddish stuff in the picture (on the top of the water and on the bottom) is fish flakes. Poor little fishies, it was like they were swimming in a fish-food snowglobe. I frantically scooped them out of their bowl with a little cup (since Preston didn't buy a net), getting lovely-smelling fish flakes all over my hand and wrist in the process. I plopped them in a cup and quickly rinsed out their disgusting bowl and washed off their rocks with fresh water a few times. I was running late by now, so I quickly treated some new water and plopped the stunned fish back into the bowl. They miraculously survived. The fish are now living on top of a 6 foot tall bookshelf, where Dax has no hope of reaching them. Preston says it defeats the purpose of getting the fish for the kids since they are up where the kids can't really see them, but at least they are safe up there....for now.

5 comments:

Holly said...

Never a dull day at the Zauggs - I love reading your stories.

Chrystie said...

Okay, so not so tough...Maybe it was a delayed reaction, but one of the fish kicked the bucket today while we were at gymnastics. :( I guess it is good we didn't name them yet.

Diane said...

Ohh-h-h-h. That's sad. Do you want us to bring you another one? I could fill up a couple of fish bowls we have here. You could have one in each kid's bedroom!!! What fun!!!!!!! (kidding sweetie)

Jessica O. said...

You can bring the dead ones to our house and feed them to the turtle. I'm sorry you have fish they are a pain but kids do love them.

Leslie said...

FUNNY!!! The joy of pet ownership when you have kids!